Future expenses considered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future expenses considered?

So I'm staying with my parents temporarily since I don't have any other place to live. Almost zero bills (besides lingering unsecured). Currently making almost zero income with not much cash. Family of 4. If by some miracle I get a job making 70k plus, could I move out, get my own place, etc and use that as new expenses? Of course file a month or two later. Otherwise I would not qualify for a chapter 7.
    Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

I hope you are asking a hypothetical question - you have 526 posts on this forum. Your questions don't make any sense in any case.

Comment

In my state (Ohio) the median income for a family of 4 is $73,040 so you would be under the median and could then move to the Schedule I/J income and expenses.

In North Carolina (is that what the NC in NC73 means?) the median for a family of 4 is $67,056 so you'd over if you made $70k+ and then you'd have to take the rest of the means test, probably having to use the IRS standard amounts for your family size.

Your Schedule J expenses are looking forward, not in the past.
      Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
      Attended 341 September 2010
      Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

I'm in Va. It's at 85k median here. Just wondering because I have a few interviews. I was going to file when I was overseas but couldn't fly back for the 341 due to kids, costs, etc. So now that I'm here I just have to wait the 91 days. Sorry if my posts didn't make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by keepinitreal View Post
          In my state (Ohio) the median income for a family of 4 is $73,040 so you would be under the median and could then move to the Schedule I/J income and expenses.

In North Carolina (is that what the NC in NC73 means?) the median for a family of 4 is $67,056 so you'd over if you made $70k+ and then you'd have to take the rest of the means test, probably having to use the IRS standard amounts for your family size.

Your Schedule J expenses are looking forward, not in the past.
          So if sched J looks forward than I don't necessarily have to move out right away? i could just say my expenses will increase once I move at a future date? My lawyer seem to think so but I'm trying to see if anyone was in a similar situation.

Comment

I'm interested in this also. At some point in the future I will be moving into an apartment (either after my short sale or foreclosure). Don't know which apartments, so should I estimate on the high side as far as apartment rent and utilities (since we are looking forward when it comes to schedule J)?

Comment

Ya know I did a lot of searching and everything points to schedule J being current expense. I can't find anyone that's done this. At least not on the web. I guess you can mention somewhere that you think your status will change and will have higher expenses due to moving, etc. I just don't think it will fly though. In any case we'll see what happens with my job hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by nc73 View Post
                Ya know I did a lot of searching and everything points to schedule J being current expense. I can't find anyone that's done this. At least not on the web. I guess you can mention somewhere that you think your status will change and will have higher expenses due to moving, etc. I just don't think it will fly though. In any case we'll see what happens with my job hunting.
                If you haven't been going to the dentist or getting checkups with your doctor because you've been paying your unsecured debt and can't afford it, on Schedule J you would still put these medical expenses because once your debts are wiped out you will then be able to afford going to the dentist and doctor.

This would be an example of a forward-looking expense recorded on Schedule J that you don't currently spend money on.
                Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
                Attended 341 September 2010
                Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

Originally posted by keepinitreal View Post
                  If you haven't been going to the dentist or getting checkups with your doctor because you've been paying your unsecured debt and can't afford it, on Schedule J you would still put these medical expenses because once your debts are wiped out you will then be able to afford going to the dentist and doctor.

This would be an example of a forward-looking expense recorded on Schedule J that you don't currently spend money on.
                  Ok gotcha. So I wouldn't be able to use rent payment that doesn't exist yet. Oh well.

Comment

So if sched J looks forward than I don't necessarily have to move out right away? i could just say my expenses will increase once I move at a future date? My lawyer seem to think so but I'm trying to see if anyone was in a similar situation.
                    I don't have rent/mortgage listed on my schedule J as I am not paying either right now. I am currently listed as a No asset waiting discharge, which should be in a little over a month from now. My attorney did make note that I did have to save money as I would eventually be foreclosed on and pay rent. She doesn't think that I will have a problem with getting my Chapter 7 discharged.

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
                      I don't have rent/mortgage listed on my schedule J as I am not paying either right now. I am currently listed as a No asset waiting discharge, which should be in a little over a month from now. My attorney did make note that I did have to save money as I would eventually be foreclosed on and pay rent. She doesn't think that I will have a problem with getting my Chapter 7 discharged.
                      did your schedules show a negative?

Comment

IDK if it helps, but right after I filed for my Ch 13, I found out I was pregnant.. It was an emergency filing and I didn't fill out my schedules until 2 weeks after I filed. I knew I was pregnant at the time we filled out the schedules, however, I couldn't include the added expenses of a second child. I ended up having to file a modification in July 2009, 4 months after my daughter was born. From my experience you cannot file using expenses that you aren't currently incurring. Small stuff (like seeing a doctor) are a different matter. Monthly expenses are the real issue here.
                        Disclaimer: Young, NOT Dumb.(._.) The plan: $480 monthly for 60 months at 100%. 07/12/08
                        Motion to Discharge: FILED!! 08/07/13
                        60 down/0 to go \m/(*.*)\m/ 100% complete!

Comment

did your schedules show a negative?

They showed over $1K positive. But that was because of the no rent. And the reason why my attorney put the note in there about having to save to rent. It would have been a negative if I had rent.

There's also the fact that if they did try to push me into a 13, all I had to do was get an apartment before the plan was confirmed and then I would be right back at a 7. Chances are the Trustee realizes that. Plus, I am under the median for a family of 3.

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
                            They showed over $1K positive. But that was because of the no rent. And the reason why my attorney put the note in there about having to save to rent. It would have been a negative if I had rent.

There's also the fact that if they did try to push me into a 13, all I had to do was get an apartment before the plan was confirmed and then I would be right back at a 7. Chances are the Trustee realizes that. Plus, I am under the median for a family of 3.
                            Awesome. I'm under the median too even if i got the job..

Comment

I don't know. I would think that after being foreclosed upon, that it is reasonably expected that I will NEED a roof over my head, therefore I will HAVE to pay for an apartment. Would think that one could get away with putting an approximate amount under housing costs on schedule J. How could that possibly be wrong? Do you think the trustee is going to blow his lid and not allow it and expect you to live in a cardboard box in some dark alley in the city???

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X