To file Chapter 7 now or wait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To file Chapter 7 now or wait

Hi all have been lurking for awhile on this board, great advise here. Really opened my eyes. Looking for some suggestions on what to do. I was getting ready to file chapter 7 with attorney, stopped paying high payment CC's in Feb due to unemployment glitch, checks being held up for 2 months, stopped paying all other CC this month. My housemates phone is starting to ring at 8 am and continues all day. Started reading Nolo thought maybe I should do it myself. But also read in Nolo that if I am " Judgment Proof" maybe not the best idea to file. I am unemployed have been for awhile, job prospect not looking to good either. I have unemployment coverage for a few more months. I live in WA, owe a little over 20K in CC's and Medical debt. I have a 2004 Prius with 81000 miles, I want to keep it, I owe $6700.00 valued at about $9300.00. Will they try to go after my car? I am almost $2500.00 under the monthly median household income for WA. I rent a room in a friend's house have no other assets have gone thru all my savings keeping up with my CC's trying to do the right thing, but I now get it there is no way I could ever pay them off, and I may be on the streets if I can't find work. So should I send Judgment Proof CD letters and wait and see if I get a job and file before I start job or just file now. I feel so guilty over all of this but now my housemate is having to deal with the phone calls coming to her house ( they did address phone look up I never gave them her number) it's making me a little nuts. Thanks for any advise.

That sucks about your roommate's phone getting calls now. Could she cancel that phone completely and go cell phone only?

Depending on what state you're in, you can probably protect the equity in your car if you do end up filing bankruptcy, but since you're unemployed, you can probably just ignore the phone calls and letters while you look for work.

Good luck!
    Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

thanks keepitreal we don't get cell reception out here in the sticks.... Every time the phone rings I cringe... She has been really kind but I don't want to push her too far.

Comment

How is your Internet hook-up? Is it fast enough to handle a voice-over-IP device such as MagicJack?
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

it's a racquet out here you have to have phone service to have internet. We looked into magicjack but people out here we talked to said it didn't work for them. We are in the sticks...

Comment

bump

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X