car lease after chapter 7 discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car lease after chapter 7 discharge

I had a chapter 7 discharge back in December. I continued paying monthly on a car lease, but they said they can no longer send me payments, and I can not continue using the online system. Can I just turn the vehicle in or am I still obligated for the remainder on the lease?

Originally posted by userids View Post
    I had a chapter 7 discharge back in December. I continued paying monthly on a car lease, but they said they can no longer send me payments, and I can not continue using the online system. Can I just turn the vehicle in or am I still obligated for the remainder on the lease?
    As long as you didn't reaffirm the debt you will be able to turn the car in and not be responsible for the rest of the lease.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

They cannot send you any request for money since you filed bk, which is why they can't send you statements. Many banks also disable the online access as well, as it sounds like they have.

You have 2 choices: continue to send in payments and keep it until lease-end. Just get the mailing address and mail in a check each month with your account number on it.

or: surrender the vehicle.

Either way, you won't be responsible for any balance remaining on the lease when the car is returned....
      Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
      0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

so I could turn my car in if I like, awesome. would I still be responsible for overmileage?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X