I forget I was on a car loan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forget I was on a car loan

Jeez new stuff hits me daily. Ok, to make a long story short I was an idiot with this girl I used to date for a long time. Well her mom died of cancer and all this stuff happened at one time, and her and her dad just weren't getting along at the time so I helped her get a car loan. Well at the time she didn't have enough credit to get a car loan.. So me being an idiot helped her, and of course my credit being the best they put me as the Main person on the loan. It didn't pop into my head till a few days ago. I've tried to research it but havn't found much on what happens with the new laws.

So basically this is my question. Is there a way to get my name off without her losing the car. (She's a ***** now, but I'd feel bad about her losing it) She does make the payments on time, well usually 15 days late but I guess you can say 'on time' in creditor terms (30 days late is usually when it shows up) Anywho, I mean if I file, and put them on the petition then I guess they could just go get it. Shit she's in a whole different state. I mean I guess I could be an ******* and just say hey take it. Even though I haven't made a single payment on it. I just don't know if she could sue me later for that or not? Is there a way where I can get out of having my name on it, and any future liability on it? I mean the loan is till like 2009, if I could trust her to pay it on time every month I would, but as of late I don't know. Plus if I file, then 3 months after I'm discharged she decides not to pay, im screwed.

Anyways any thoughts ideas? I want to be sort of nice about it, although the way she screwed me, and me being the ******* that's in me I would just let it go with bankruptcy, but I don't know if I could be sued or not.
    Last edited by Graphic; 01-23-2006, 09:04 PM.

Technically wouldn't she be the cosigner on the loan?? If that's the case, the lender can just revert to her for payment anyway. That's one of the dangers of cosigning a note for someone. If something happens that causes them financial disaster, the cosigner becomes responsible for the loan. Whether the cosigner has the property or not.
    Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
    Discharged - 12/2006
    Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
    Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Yeah she is the co-signer. She does have the car.. I just didn't know if I filed bankruptcy whether or not they would TAKE the car even if the payments were current.

Comment

Whose name is the title in. Thats the legal owner of any equity in the car.

Comment

Both. Either way I'm putting it on the petition because I don't want it on my credit. Sure, if she pays that will help my credit tremendously, however, I tend to be negative sometimes, (especially since the ***** slept with my friend .. he didnt know her.. but she knew he was a friend of mine) so although I want to be nice and not have her be out of a car all of a sudden ..(plus I don't know if she could sue me for that..unless I forewarned her maybe) anyways at the same time I really don't give a rats ass I just want to know what would happen lol

Comment

Hrm, if my girlfriend slept with my friend and now I'm having to consider whether I trust her or not to pay a loan on time in my name......

NO BRAINER

Protect yourself. If shes upset about the consequences, thats her problem, she proved herself to you by showing her true colors, that she can't be trusted.

Comment

ok lets get some sense here.

first, that is a prime example of how you can not trust any girl. they are built for lying like the evil apples that they are.

second, i let my girlfriend sleep with my friends but i only have friends that are girls.

third, protect yourself. dont worry about trying to get a credit line paid for. it wont help as much as a visa/mc will after you are discharged anyways.
              Im not an attorney or a trustee. You cant trust me either though!

[x] - Done with 341? Join the 60 Day Club! ___________[x] - Im Discharged! Whoo Hooo!
              [x] - Poll: Should I File Pro-Se ____________________[x] - New BK Law: Median Income, Means Testing and Presumptive Abuse
              [x] - Zombie Debt Collectors Dig Up Your Old Mistakes _-[x] - Bankruptcy Law Resource
              [x] - Need A Fast Answer? Available 24/7!--__________[x] - Dont Be A Hero On Your Budget - You Wont Get An Award!

Comment

Well it's one of those weird situations lol. I'm a typical *******, usually in a joking manner but I come across that way. So although I really wouldn't care because I probably won't ever see her anyways haha I'd still feel kinda bad later. Could she sue me for anything even if I didn't tell her and they came and took it one day?

I agree BK lying hoes We were like best friends for about 3 years before too lol that's the saddest part of it all. Oh well learned that lesson.

Comment

What could she sue you for? If the car isn't going to be paid until 2009, theres little or no equity to even argue about.

Comment

ok. never ever be friends with a girl. that is not possible.

friends are supposed to help one another. support each other. fight for what each other believes in.

not talk over one each other. fight over the same guy that comes through town. lie to each other about how that dress does makes then look skinny, etc.

im hopping we have straightend you out.

ok so what this sueing about? tell us again. why could she sue you?

[x] - Done with 341? Join the 60 Day Club! ___________[x] - Im Discharged! Whoo Hooo!
                    [x] - Poll: Should I File Pro-Se ____________________[x] - New BK Law: Median Income, Means Testing and Presumptive Abuse
                    [x] - Zombie Debt Collectors Dig Up Your Old Mistakes _-[x] - Bankruptcy Law Resource
                    [x] - Need A Fast Answer? Available 24/7!--__________[x] - Dont Be A Hero On Your Budget - You Wont Get An Award!

Comment

Hell I don't know. People sue for anything now days. OH and i straightened myself out on the whole women situation. However, with all the females on here I think I'll bite my tongue on how I fixed that situation ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Graphic
                        Hell I don't know. People sue for anything now days. OH and i straightened myself out on the whole women situation. However, with all the females on here I think I'll bite my tongue on how I fixed that situation ;)
                        Hey Graphic, here is one female that would not be offended if you bk'd on the cheating h*..... and with your best friend I wouldn't worry too much about how it would affect her. She wasn't thinking much about how her behavior was going to affect you now was she

Comment

bk is used to protect youself. if you owe a debt then you need to list it, no?

*waiting for obvious answer*
                          Last edited by bkfiler; 01-24-2006, 08:43 AM.

Comment

You have to list all debts. On the bright side, if she should default in the future, they can't come after you for any deficiency balance.

If there is equity in the car-that might be an issue since you own part of it. BUT, most car loans are upside down. How far into the loan is she, and was it new? If she doesn't have equity, it should not be an issue.
                            Most of my information is from personal experience or HOURS and HOURS of online research. When you're searching online, keep in mind there is no guarantee that the info is completely up to date, and your situation is unique from anyone else's. Do your homework, and consult with an attorney so you can make an informed decision.

Comment

She'll probably want to come after you over this about the time she finds out you bk'ed on the car debt. Doesn't matter if it's a real problem or not - it will just make her mad. When ex's get mad they want to get even. To clear up this issue include her as a creditor in your filing.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X