These might be stupid questions, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These might be stupid questions, but...

We were unable to pay our bills starting in September of last year (around $35,000 in CC debt). We couldn't file until our home load mod went through, which just happened last week. Now, we're full steam ahead, hoping to file before we get sued (I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened yet). Two questions:

One, how do I find out exactly who I owe money to? Credit report maybe? I have a pile of credit cards in my bureau drawer but I just don't want to miss anything and honestly, I dread the process of going through and collecting the information so I want to make it as painless as possible. (If getting a copy of my credit report is the way to go, how is that done?)

Two, I'm a teacher and we get a lump sum check at the start of the summer to cover the salary for July and August. I need that money for mortgage and other bills, but I'm concerned that because it's a large check it will affect my ability to file (I keep reading things that say not to have a lot of money in your account when you file). I'm getting the check as a paper check (not direct deposit). Any thoughts on what I should do with it? I don't want to do anything dishonest, but I also can't risk losing the money for my mortgage after working so hard to keep my house.

Either file in June (the lookback is Dec-May if you file by the end of June) or wait until the end of the summer to file so that the pay is averaged over the months where you get no pay...
    Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
    0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Getting a copy of your credit report is a requirement if you file bk. All your recent debt will be listed, but make sure ther are no errors in it. Our lawyer did this for us. In fact you can get one free copy each year. Do a search here and I am sure you will find the site. Your lump sum salary should not be a problem doing the means test because you will be two months without a paycheck and will average the same.

If you are planning to file anytime soon getting your ducks in a row will lessen the agony and get things rolling faster. Remember that the only things your lawyer has to work with is what you provide. Any omissions, oops I forgot that or "hidding" anything will only complicate the procedure.

We did as much leg work ourselves and it really helped us out. Collecting all of your financial information is vital and your responsibility. Tax returns, medical bills, cc's, everything you pay out monthly will need to be accounted for. Our lawyer provided us with a packet outlining everything needed for our first meeting. Good luck.
      Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X