Time from payment to filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time from payment to filing

So we are checking around to pick a few lawyers but I am trying to get my BK filed before the end of July to avoid any creditors going over 30 days (maybe not important but I am trying to at least make the BK my only negative).

I have funds set aside to pay, how long should I expect it to take for a filing? I am very organized so I am sure I could complete all of my paperwork within a day or two. I just want to be sure I understand the process so if the lawyer says it takes at least 3 weeks for him to file I know if it's just the process or it's him just putting at the end of his long list of clients.

Just depends on your attorney and their workload.
    That's a question that only the lawyer can answer.If you run into a timeline problem, your lawyer can file a "skeleton petition". Just basic info and a creditor matrix to get a filing number and protection under the automatic stay.You then have 15 days to complete the filing.
    Have you taken the mandatory CCCS class yet?

Comment

No I was waiting on my lawyer meeting next week and then will do it online. The last said he could file in 2 days.......course not sure they extra cost.

Comment

My attorney said he could be ready to file in a day or two, once he had all the info he needed from us. The petition itself isn't that big of a deal; then they have about ten days to file the rest of the paperwork.

Talk to your attorney about whether you should keep paying your creditors -- the first thing they told me to do was stop paying. Not having anything go 30 days late will not be important in the big picture. The BK is negative enough to overshadow all 30, 60, 90 days late.
        DH laid off 3/08 | Last mortgage payment 12/09 | Filed Ch13 5/10 | Converted to Ch7 7/10 | 341 held 8/10 | AP filed by secured creditor 10/10 | Ch7 discharged & closed 11/10 | Foreclosure 10/2011

Comment

Yeah I know BK is going to overshadow a 30 60 90 day late but if I can avoid with no extra work on my end why not. I figure it's still gotta look better to have a BK than a BK plus 10+ lenders reporting me as 90 days late.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X