Question about renting/buying from family member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about renting/buying from family member

If I am renting a small plot of land (to keep an RV on, it would be our main house) from a family member, would that be acceptable? This family member rents to others, so it wouldn't be a problem making it official (i.e. have a lease and everything).

Assuming I could come up with the funds, would it also be acceptable to purchase that plot of land? We're probably talking $2k-$3k, not too worried as I don't know if it's even feasible at this point.

We wouldn't be keeping our current house, plan on just moving into the RV full-time.

According to our lawyer, as long as everything is "fair market value", there are records/receipts and it isn't hidden, it is usually fine.

We purchased a vehicle from my parents during our bankruptcy and as long as we did everything fair and square they didn't have any problem with it.
    Discharged Ch 7 9/10/08
    Livin' the GOOD life

Comment

When family is involved, it is a red flag ... so be sure to document everything with extreme care. That being said, provided everything is above board, there is no reason you cannot lease, sell or buy stuff from relatives. Just be aware that any such transaction is likely to receive a lot more attention and is likely to cost you time/energy/legal fees.
      The opinions above are not and should not be considered legal advice or establish an attorney/client relationship. In addition, I have no knowledge of any confidential facts, am not a debt relief agency, and probably don't have the right to practice in your jurisdiction anyway ... so, please talk to your own attorney.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X