Am I foolish for considering this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I foolish for considering this?

Considering pulling the trigger and filing for bankruptcy. Adding up everything looking at my credit report, I estimate I'm around $13k in debt.

Long story short. Had a good job that paid $60k in Washington State, got laid off from there after working there for four years. While working there, financed a new car and of course credit cards. Young and stupid I guess.

Was out of work for nine months living off my severance until I found another job that was basically a dream come true. New job was $25k/yr - enough to pay the minimum on the bills with maybe $20 left over at the end of a pay period, after working there for seven months, was laid off along with a bunch of my friends thanks to the economy cratering (television station who lost a couple big accounts). After being laid off from there with no severance asides from my last paycheck, basically sold almost everything I owned to keep afloat and pay bills in hopes another station in town would hire me (was on the short list). Didn't get the job, moved back in with my mother and had to stop paying my creditors as embarrassing as I found it - whole honor thing, pay back your bills. Car was repo'ed.

While living back with my mother looking for work, any work over the past year and a half (you'd be surprised how gun-shy employers are at hiring someone who worked for a news station...what are they afraid of, I'll spill their dirty laundry to my old employer?), my mother was forced out of her home due to the landlord deciding to stop paying his mortgage and it went into foreclosure. (the landlord happens to be her ex-husband who took her to the cleaners in the divorce..he basically bullied her into signing a quit-claim deed to the house and in the divorce decree she had to pay rent to stay in the house. He decided he wanted to strategically default so he'd have money to support his new wife's spending habits)

Probably shouldn't have, but I took the tax hit and pulled what little money was in my retirement account and paid to move to Alabama since a relative offered a rental home they owned outright at a price my mother could afford on her wages. It was either that or the two of us living out of her car in a bitterly cold winter.

Seven months later, I'm sitting here with no job prospects since the industry I trained in has an unemployment rate of 20%, no income, no assets to my name asides from my bed, clothes, dresser, a few books, cheap digital camera and a laptop computer to my name and creditors hounding me. Would like to go back to school, but my credit is shot to hell of course.

Quite frankly, just want to get out from under everything and start over.

Your problem isn't debt-it's lack of income.
    Bk is useless if, you can't support yourself post bk. You don't want to pull the bk trigger too soon. What if you get sick or injured a few months after filing and have large medical bills you can't pay and already played the bk card.
    Focus on finding any sort of job and get some cash rolling in. Get a basic safety net in place and then consider bk. BK will always be an option. File when it;ll benefit you the most.

Comment

Ditto the above post. There is nothing the creditors can do to you aside from calling you. You have no wages to garnish & no property to get a lien against. Wait until you are stable, have medical insurance, and can support yourself before filing bk.
      Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
      0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Agreed. Change your phone number (unlisted if landline) and don't give it out to anyone but friends, toss the collection letters in the trash.

You need enough income to support yourself fully before BK will do you any good.
        Filed CH13 - 06/2009
        Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

100% agree with the first posts here. Although it sounds like an enormous amount of debt when you have no job $13,000 is really not worth filing bankruptcy for and especially when you have no assets your creditors can go after. I would wait to see what your future holds. My guess is that when you do get back on your feet and have a job you may never have to file for bankruptcy at all. Good luck to you!
          08-2009:Quit Paying Credit Cards
          04-2010:Hired 2nd Attorney;05-2010:Filed 7
          06-2010:341 Meeting (went very well)
          08-24-2010: Discharged; 09-02-2010 Closed!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X