can't find a similar situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't find a similar situation

My wife and I filed ch 7 oct 2002. in 2006 I lost my job and have since become self employed. I am a massage therapist and make very little right now. my wife is employed and we barely make enough to pay the bills.she makes about 38k a year I think. We recently got a home modification which is why we barely have enough to pay the bills. we have both been served with garnishment notices. I know we can't file ch 7 until october but is there anything we can do to stop the garnishment of my wife's income? we have no assets of real worth outside of our home which we owe 178k and its worth 120k according to tax rolls. we live in idaho. any help would be greatly appreciated

Some states have head of household exemptions for the main bread winner, If your state has it this may protect her income or greatly reduce the garnish amount

Comment

You could file ch. 13 - but if you are really a ch. 7 case then waiting the few months to file is probably the better plan. (Would incur more legal fees to file ch. 13 as they tend to be more work for the atty.)
      Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
      (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

You don't just 'get served' with garnishment notices.

You firsst have to be sued, were you sued? If not it's a scare tactic. Other than that are the debts time barred, or past the collection time allowed? bscalliance.com tells you state statute of limitations, and has garnishment info.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X