top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the attornies going to tell the creditors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the attornies going to tell the creditors?

I'm paying the attorney's retainer this month and passing these creditor calls on to them. We won't be filing until December though, so I know they can still keep calling me. What exactly do the attornies tell them when you haven't actually filed yet? Just curious.
    04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

After hiring our attorney I ask this same question and he smiled and said we just tell them to go to hell!

He was just kidding (I think) but it made me like him even more.
    ==================================
    Filed: 4-30-2010
    341 Complete: 6-16-2010
    Discharged and Closed 8/17/2010

Comment

LOL!! Sounds a little like my attorney. I asked how soon we could file as the phone calls were driving me crazy. She said, "You could change your number....or hey, just don't answer them." I just don't have the courage to ignore them though. Was going to wait until closer to pay the retainer but so tired of repeating myself over and over to the creditors, so just doing it now to give me another spiel to give them. At least maybe this will slow down the frequency of the calls anyway. I did block the calls on my cell phone, so at least that's not ringing anymore anyway.
      04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Comment

Blueboy, I like your attorney!

All I know that I never had my ringer on which really helped. After I retained an attorney and gave the creditors her contact info, the calls really subsided. Maybe my attorney also told them to go to hell!
        Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
        341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
        Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

I doubt they actually call the atty. Just note the file, and perhaps mark it for a followup call in 30 days instead of 2. (Longer delay in between calls than otherwise.)
          Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
          (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

That works too. We're down to just one call a day from each company. As long as I answer it and talk to them, they don't call back that day. I just repeat the same thing I said the day before, but it's getting old.

Did get an offer in the mail today from one of the companies offering a 5-year repayment plan at a lower interest rate. It's still essentially what my minimum payment was before. But at least they're still hanging on and not filing suit yet. That's all I'm praying for at this point.

Comment

When they call your attorney, all they usually do is seek to verify that a bankruptcy is in the works. Sometimes they want to know if the client has actually retained the lawyer. Once the attorney tells them that there is a bankruptcy getting ready to be filed, they move on to the next victim.
              Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by MSbklawyer View Post
                When they call your attorney, all they usually do is seek to verify that a bankruptcy is in the works. Sometimes they want to know if the client has actually retained the lawyer. Once the attorney tells them that there is a bankruptcy getting ready to be filed, they move on to the next victim.
                Does it cause them to speed things up to try and get a judgment before you file so that they can grab a bank account. Or does it possibly buy you a little more time before you are pushed to filing?

Comment

I strung them along for over 10 months just gave the lawyers number and said to call him. I waited till I was being sued before I actually filed.

Comment

Originally posted by JEM View Post
                    Does it cause them to speed things up to try and get a judgment before you file so that they can grab a bank account. Or does it possibly buy you a little more time before you are pushed to filing?

I can only speak from experience, but yes sometimes it does. The problem is if you are in the process of filing it is almost a waste of money on the creditors part. Some will try and speed the process up in hopes they will get some money before you file. Most creditors will not even bother.
                    Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
                    341 meeting on 5/28/2010
                    Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X