Can I pay this bill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I pay this bill?

I had forgotten about the balance on my Lowe's card coming due. The last charge was one of those 6 months/same as cash purchases and I just got the bill -- minimum payment is only $20. Already stressing over two cards possibly suing, and this balance is low - only $900 - so guessing they may not let me drag this out very long, and honestly, just don't want to deal with talking to another creditor. Can I pay this $20 each month to keep them off my back each month? I know it may be a preferential payment - but we're only talking a total of $60 by the time we file - would the trustee really care? And could it cause any problems down the road?
    04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Shouldn't cause any problems, amount is not significant. And if trustee thinks its preferential, that will be between the trustee and Lowe's card, not you. Are you filing soon though? If yes, why would you pay?
    Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
    AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Can't file until December. Only reason thinking about just paying it because I don't want to deal with another creditor calling -- thinking that's a small price to pay to not have to have one more on my back.
      04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Comment

Originally posted by ssmdem View Post
        Can't file until December. Only reason thinking about just paying it because I don't want to deal with another creditor calling -- thinking that's a small price to pay to not have to have one more on my back.
        I had a similar situation with 2 cards that I had used for car repairs just about 4 months prior to filing. Balances on both cards were lower than $1000, and the two charges were around $450 and $300 respectively. The lawyer had told me it was up to me as to whether to pay the minimums (around $20 in my case also), that either way it really wouldn't be an issue in the bankruptcy with the amount being so small. I haven't had any problems in my case as of yet as a result of paying.
        Filed: 6/30/2010
        341: 7/26/2010
        Discharged: 10/6/2010

Comment

I think I'm going to pay the Sept and Oct payments and just miss the last one. That will make it 30 days late at the time of filing - doubt I'll hear much from the Lowe's in that time-frame. Just didn't want to mess up anything with the bankruptcy. I really just can't see the trustee going after $40 as a preferential payment.

Comment

Paying $20/mo x a few won't matter. Its not enough $ to a creditor for the trustee to bother with, not enough to even hit his/her radar. The petition only asks about $600+ to a single creditor in the past few months.
            Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
            (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X