Hopefully someone will laugh at this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully someone will laugh at this

Because I need a laughing partner here people!!

I don't know why, but up to now, I have not been able to work up the nerve to tell a creditor to "talk to my attorney, I'm filing". I guess I always felt it wasn't real until next Friday and that I should just not say it, maybe I was afraid of saying it out loud...maybe just being a weenie about it. I don't know. Yesterday I finally told my first creditor what I was going to do and to talk to my attorney...and wow, what a rush of a mix of emotions. Everything from sadness, failure, relief, hope, adequacy and inadequacy all at the same time, you name it, it rushed out....it rushed so bad the creditor (in-house collections, very polite, not even 30 days late so no CA or nastygrams yet) felt he needed to apologize for calling and for my situation, and profusely thanked me for taking their calls and being straight up, that they would definitely not be calling back unless more than 3 months went by without a notice from the BK court. But I digress....I feel very, very stupid now writing this, I can't believe the emotions I went through just stating for the first time those words "talk to my lawyer"...almost as if I'm a blubbering idiot...lol. Anyway, Moderators: Thanks for letting me use a post here to rant/vent/psychotherapize myself, whatever.

Full steam to 8/27!!
    Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
    AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

I can/will laugh with you, as I have been there with that same flood of emotions. It is scary and hopeful at the same time, how twisted is that?? Lol!! I am glad that you got to experience this, because it has a way of making it more "real". (least it did for me)

Congrats, and yeah...I totally understand.
    Lol!!

I swear when this is all over you will laugh even harder at how this felt.
    All the best!! And as silly as this sounds...Congrats on making it real!
    8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
    11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

Same emotions...it wasn't real if I didn't say it out loud...

Comment

CCSJoe, It's not stupid at all. I totally understand as I also put off telling the creditors. Once got through all of the emotions, and it took a little time before I got the courage up to call all of them, I was glad I did because the calls stopped. It's just another stop on the emotional bk rollercoaster.
        Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
        341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
        Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

Been there, done that! The first call I answered was hard for me as well. It felt like I was being an impudent child, and telling someone I wasn't going to do something. However, like you, my first call was with someone friendly and non-threatening, and it felt like a relief when it was over. It wasn't bad at all. So when I did get a few 'not so nice' callers later right before we officially filed, it wasn't so hard to stand my ground and (eventually) hang up on them when they got snippy with me.

Comment

Dont feel silly for feeling the way you do - we've all been there I think at some point in time. I readily admit, I laughed with you, not at you

Comment

I went through that whole range of emotions when I first started talking to lawyers. I had been considering bankruptcy for several months by then, but somehow going to consultations with lawyers made the whole thing real for me. I think it's a matter of reality finally settling in.

Good news is - once you get past the initial shock/shame/anger (I had all these plus many more), the sense of relief is amazing.
              Filed: 6/30/2010
              341: 7/26/2010
              Discharged: 10/6/2010

Comment

I know that range of emotions well, you are not alone there.

And 12 months of collection calls it was just a relief the day I paid my retainer to be able to say "call my lawyer!" Every collection call except one has been very kind about it.

One was rude and told me that I was lying and he hears it all the time- I told him to call my lawyer- and he said "Not until you file I don't have to!" CLICK!

One lady had me in tears as she said her job is ending next week and she had 3 kids and knows just what I am going through, and she apologized for having to bug me. We boo-hoo'd our way to thank you goodbye's

Yeah- It's been a roller coaster. I can't wait for this to be over and then we can rebuild our life.
                I am not an attorney. I am just a fellow passenger on a sinking ship. Anything posted above is my opinion or best guess, and nothing more.

Comment

I too told my first creditor today, she we very friendly and said she was sorry I was going through this rough situation and wished me the best after everything is settled. I am 35 days past due with this particular creditor, 1 creditor down and 14 more to go I am guessing they all won’t go this well. I think I was just ashamed/embarrassed to say talk to my attorney I am filing for BK 7.

Comment

The first one was the hardest for me, but if it is any consolation, it does get easier. I told 11 creditors after being 4 months late and all but one was nice. The one that wasn't insisted on getting my SS# (they called me) and I refused. After asking me three times for it, she just said they will keep on calling, but they never did.
                    Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
                    341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
                    Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

The first and second ones were the hardest for me, and they were also the ones I owed the most money to (Discovercard $13K, and Chase $5K). I felt so many different ranges of emotions I had to take the rest of the day off from work to get my self together again. And it's not that they were nasty to me, they were quite nice, told me they were sorry, and if there was anything they could do to let them know. (scratching my head over that last comment). I've only got two more to go, and even though they are both now over 60 days, no one has called yet.

Comment

citi022, yup.

All,

I know I should be feeling relief, and I guess I eventually will. After all, this was a discussed, debated, planned logical move. But still, sheesh. I'll get better at telling them all to talk to my lawyer. Don't think I'll have many to tell though, I won't even be 30 days late come filing day and so far only 2 have called. All others can just receive the court's notification.

Thanks for sharing though. I knew I wasn't alone, but it sure feels comforting to hear it! Thank you
                        Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10

Comment

Originally posted by ccsjoe View Post
                          that they would definitely not be calling back unless more than 3 months went by without a notice from the BK court.

Hmmmm, this line is interesting. Within a couple of week, I'll be within 3 months. Wondering if I shouldn't just go ahead and start using the attorney line now......
                          04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Comment

Originally posted by ssmdem View Post
                            Hmmmm, this line is interesting. Within a couple of week, I'll be within 3 months. Wondering if I shouldn't just go ahead and start using the attorney line now......
                            Maybe, but remember to put some feeling into it...they gotta feel ya!!! LOL

Comment

I get you, I felt the same flood of emotions. The day the first bill was late, I spent the whole day staring at the clock thinking that I could still get that payment in before it's officially late. I was pacing the house, wondering what I could sell to get the money quick for the payment. I kept calling my hubby at work asking if there were any ways we could pay the bill because it's due TODAY! The sad thing is that if I would have just accepted that we were on a sinking ship, we could have salvaged what little savings we did have. The day I told the first creditor our intentions, it was really strange and calming at the same time.
                              Ch. 13
                              5 payments down, 55 to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X