Lupus, BK, and income ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lupus, BK, and income ???

I am looking at a diagnosis of lupus, most likely, very soon. It is progressing to the point that it is difficult for me to work (as a teacher), and I anticipate at some point that I will have to go on disability. My husband and I saw an attorney last year about BK, but we made too much for Ch. 7 and our debt was too high for Ch. 13. He basically said there was nothing he could do for us. We've been paying all of our creditors and limping along since then. If I go on disability, for 5 months, my income will a couple thousand/month (since I have to pay the sub out of my regular pay), and then after 5 months, if I cannot return to work, I will be terminated. So, my question is if that would be the best time to file (after those 6 months, so our last 6 months of income is low enough for Ch. 7)? Will our 1040's matter, since I will have been on disability? If the disability is temporary and I am able to return to work, will the court take that into consideration? I'm wondering if this is the "silver lining" possibly...

Our income is 105K and 60K (which will be reduced to 105K and 20K-ish)...
    --------------------------------------------
    As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. ~Henry David Thoreau

I hate hearing about the diagnosis of lupus. Let us hope and pray that you get better news...

About the disability, I am not sure what you are asking. Is this a reduced pay from your employment? Or are you going to apply for SS Disability? If it is the latter, you will likely be turned down twice before finally being accepted.

Also schedule at least two more consultations with different attorneys. You need some other opinions.

Good luck to you.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I guess I'm trying to figure out if it is even worth considering again. It would be reduced pay from my employer. I can stay on temporary disability for 5 months before they will terminate me. That means I keep my insurance and get paid about 1500/mo because I still do all the lesson planning and just have the sub be the body in the classroom. This is not the best scenario for me or the students, but I'm not sure what other options I have. If I quit because of my inability to perform my duties, I lose my insurance and my income. That's not good...
      As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. ~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I'm sorry you have Lupus or are facing that dx - I have it but I do not have SLE *yet ..fingers crossed* as well as one of my dearest friends has SLE. It definately wreaks havoc on a body for sure. For the record, lupus is on the SS list of approved disabilities should you have to go that route, but in the meantime, I want to give you some hope that there are meds out there that can help alleviate alot of the symptoms; low dose steroids and Plaquinel are two of the main ones, and they work very well. Please remember to stay out of the sun and any artificial UV lights as much as possible as this makes lupus worse.

I agree with AngelinaCat... I'd seek the advice of a few attorneys before you decide to go off of what just one tells you.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I have to ask about the UV lights, though. What do you mean by they make the lupus worse? I didn't know anything about that! The sun doesn't cause a rash for me like some people, so that's good, but I work under UV lights ALL DAY! What do they do?

Comment

You're like me then - although I do break out sometimes from a rash, its not often. I guess I do have SLE, but given my organs arent involved..I dont consider it SLE really..... odd, but thats me. So for all intents and purposes, I suppose I am SLE or SCLE, but I just dont want to admit it . Dr. says otherwise however...... but... eh - I'm okay at the moment, organs are good.

Sun KILLS me - I can go out for a bit in it but I must always wear sunscreen or a hat or something. If I stay in the sun for any length of time, even with sunscreen on, I get very sick - symptoms resemble that of heatstroke almost. Massive headaches or migraines, throwing up, extremely tired, joints hurt etc. Artificial lights, like a tanning bed - will make it 10 times worse - and as for the office type of lighting, it can affect a person with lupus just the same. There are lights you can have your dr. recommend and rx for you so that it doesnt affect your lupus as badly.

Are you seeing a rhumy? He/she should be telling you what can cause flares to worsen or just to cause them in general - as well as how to avoid them. Sometimes there is nothing you can do - a flare will just happen - at that point you take your meds and try to make yourself as comfortable as possible. A flare is when lupus "acts up" essentially - Its helpful to know that lupus waxes and wanes - so while you'll always have it - you may not always flare, it does go into remission.

ETA: wanted to tell you that not all lupus patients get the rash from sun/artificial light - only about 30-50% actually experience that.

Comment

Oh, that is really encouraging. I didn't realize it comes and goes. The sun thing is huge for me. If I got sit in the sun for very long, I get a VERY bad headache and feel like I have the flu for the rest of the day. I just thought I was weird and tried to hide how I felt so people wouldn't think I was a wuss. As soon as I started back at work with the artificial lighting, my daily headaches started back up. At home, I have nice, soft lighting...

Comment

Here is a site that will help you immensely - it helped me http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/weba...253&zoneid=527

Comment

Thank you. It was VERY helpful!

Comment

Glad it helped Feel better soon!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X