top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you use for online purchases when no credit card? (Other than a debit card.)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • doni49
    replied
    Originally posted by acmsas View Post
    I use a Walmart Moneycard which is a prepaid visa. You can load it at Walmart anytime, and it can not be overdrawn! I love it!
    But they charge you each time you add money don't they? I opened a FREE checking account at a local bank. It's a bank OTHER than the one where I do my every day banking. In fact this is the only account I have with them. The ONLY money that I ever put in that account is to cover my intended online purchases.

    Other than that, my balance runs about $0.50. Since it's a separate bank (my everyday checking is with a local CU and the one I'm talking about is a commercial bank), they'll never have access to my other accounts.

    So I basically have a prepaid visa card--that I didn't pay for! (other than the actual funds available for purchase). I love it!

    Leave a comment:


  • acmsas
    replied
    I use a Walmart Moneycard which is a prepaid visa. You can load it at Walmart anytime, and it can not be overdrawn! I love it!

    Leave a comment:


  • Dax
    replied
    Thanks everyone for your insights. Paypal may be the way to go. I've never given it much thought. I will look into it.

    Leave a comment:


  • tobee43
    replied
    Originally posted by catleg View Post
    I tend to agree that paypal has the best security for buyers.

    Folks have been burnt by them as sellers, but as a buyer I agree they're good.

    Ebay in general has made its rules and protections extremely buyer friendly, at the expense of sellers.
    got that right...i have been a member since 2 weeks of them being up and running. now everything is "buyer" friendly and the sellers have no rights.

    selling was fun and profitable...i'm just getting ready to close shop there because the fees have become so high for the "smaller" seller...but it was fun while it lasted!!

    Leave a comment:


  • catleg
    replied
    I tend to agree that paypal has the best security for buyers.

    Folks have been burnt by them as sellers, but as a buyer I agree they're good.

    Ebay in general has made its rules and protections extremely buyer friendly, at the expense of sellers.

    Leave a comment:


  • tobee43
    replied
    Originally posted by catleg View Post
    Let me just say one thing about online security. Most of us have the tendency to use the same email+password at many sites. Many sites (like Amazon) like to store your credit card info. This combination makes you very very vulnerable if someone gets a hold of your credentials from a loosely guarded site (e.g. chat board) and then goes into your other accounts online this way and buys stuff. This actually happened to me with Amazon. Amazon wants you to buy stuff, so stuff like 1-click buying and buying without prompting for a CVV2 number on your stored credit cards makes Amazon accounts very vulnerable to hacking. In my case Amazon fortunately noticed that a large order of electronics shipped to Eastern Europe was not my normal spending pattern, and shut down my account hard. Unfortunately I lost the feedback reputation I had built up in the Amazon marketplace.
    yes, cat...i have heard HORROR story after story...

    but i simply have never had any security problems with my information via paypal...i will not buy off of amazon or any other site unless i can pay via paypal.

    Leave a comment:


  • tobee43
    replied
    Originally posted by gw8721
    Does you bank allow bill paying through online banking?

    Might consider paypal if they allow it?

    Other than that you can do pre paid VISAs etc.

    well, i sent my rent account up like that...do be able to send it directly via paypal....

    i would like it would depend on your own bank as to whether they allowed online bill paying. i know my does.

    Leave a comment:


  • catleg
    replied
    Let me just say one thing about online security. Most of us have the tendency to use the same email+password at many sites. Many sites (like Amazon) like to store your credit card info. This combination makes you very very vulnerable if someone gets a hold of your credentials from a loosely guarded site (e.g. chat board) and then goes into your other accounts online this way and buys stuff. This actually happened to me with Amazon. Amazon wants you to buy stuff, so stuff like 1-click buying and buying without prompting for a CVV2 number on your stored credit cards makes Amazon accounts very vulnerable to hacking. In my case Amazon fortunately noticed that a large order of electronics shipped to Eastern Europe was not my normal spending pattern, and shut down my account hard. Unfortunately I lost the feedback reputation I had built up in the Amazon marketplace.

    Leave a comment:


  • tobee43
    replied
    Originally posted by blockhead View Post
    Paypal is ok but I trust their security less than a bank, even with all the bank glitches lately. They suffered from the acquisition by eBay. I use a low credit limit credit card for online and never agree to leave it registered. As for 'electronic checks' that's like a debit card - another easy window into your bank account.
    actually paypal and ebay have been the same almost forever....

    i have never ever had a problem and i pay everyone and their mother...including rent....clothes etc. i don't even get spam mail and it's been....about 12 years or so...at least ....

    i still like it better than supplying my info directly to online purchase site. it's just a comfort thing for me and i guess it's what i'm personally used to.

    Leave a comment:


  • blockhead
    replied
    Paypal is ok but I trust their security less than a bank, even with all the bank glitches lately. They suffered from the acquisition by eBay. I use a low credit limit credit card for online and never agree to leave it registered. As for 'electronic checks' that's like a debit card - another easy window into your bank account.

    Leave a comment:


  • tobee43
    replied
    Originally posted by WhatMoney View Post
    This is true as long as you do not have any backup payment method for your PayPal Debit Card. To increase your spending limit PayPal lets you specify a bank account as backup funding, or another credit card. You can limit the maximum taken out of a backup account to $200 however. This is convenient if your PayPal balance is too low for a purchase and it would take 4-6 days to fund your PP account from your bank account without the instant backup funding. Of course backup funding has the risk you mention up to the dollar limit you specify, a $200 minimum limit.

    I've had cases where my PayPal account was too low to afford an online purchase of an item on a limited sale, or an eBay auction about to expire, so the backup funding was useful. Otherwise I'd have to expose my checking account debit card to the merchant, or skip the purchase if it was eBay. I'm thinking of Black Friday type sales that are only good for one day and may be the lowest price of the year. Geez, I'm sounding like a typical consumer now. I'm supposed to be saving, not spending....
    one of the MAIN reasons to use paypal...(i have been a member since they opened)...is that if you buy anything on line they back it up...so if one is concerned with internet sales and getting ripped off they watch your butt...whether you use your checking attached to the account or a debit card...which they DO NOT let the vendor ever see...payment comes directly from paypal and the vendor gets none of your personal money info....

    that's why i like it so much.

    i know we aren't supposed to be "buying" but i even buy food off the net!

    Leave a comment:


  • WhatMoney
    replied
    Originally posted by StartinOver View Post
    You can get a debit card that draws against your paypal balance. You then fund the paypal with your bank account. I do not believe that the debit card on the paypal can "overdraft" the paypal and self-fund through the bank account. If you maintain very carefully your paypal balance, that might work for you.
    This is true as long as you do not have any backup payment method for your PayPal Debit Card. To increase your spending limit PayPal lets you specify a bank account as backup funding, or another credit card. You can limit the maximum taken out of a backup account to $200 however. This is convenient if your PayPal balance is too low for a purchase and it would take 4-6 days to fund your PP account from your bank account without the instant backup funding. Of course backup funding has the risk you mention up to the dollar limit you specify, a $200 minimum limit.

    I've had cases where my PayPal account was too low to afford an online purchase of an item on a limited sale, or an eBay auction about to expire, so the backup funding was useful. Otherwise I'd have to expose my checking account debit card to the merchant, or skip the purchase if it was eBay. I'm thinking of Black Friday type sales that are only good for one day and may be the lowest price of the year. Geez, I'm sounding like a typical consumer now. I'm supposed to be saving, not spending....
    Last edited by WhatMoney; 09-25-2010, 01:18 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Pandora
    replied
    Its for that very reason that we have TWO accounts. One for local every day in person purchases and check writing and the other is debit only checking account with minimal in it used for online purchases only. That way if ever stolen, they wont get much.

    So sorry your identity got hacked - that sucks.

    Leave a comment:


  • ccsjoe
    replied
    I can't really say I've ever had a problem using my debit card. It got compromised twice, but being as anal as I am, I do check my balances and transactions every morning, both time I caught the fraud while it was still a pending transaction, called bank immediately both times and both times bank credited me the amount right away, no waiting. Maybe some banks are better than others about this, I happen to think the problem is more about getting into the discipline of logging into your bank account daily to review your transactions and balances. Takes me 7 mintes...well, that was before, with my pile of cc's, now with 1 checking and savings, takes me 2 minutes and I'm done.

    Leave a comment:


  • wnguyen
    replied
    You scared me Dax. The only way (card) for me to pay online right now is my debit card but I only use it with the site I'm comfortable with, such as Amazon and Buy.com
    With Buy.com I can use Bill Me Later to pay and they send me the bill and I'll pay them later. It works similar to credit cards. Other alternative that I use is Paypal, where I transfer funds from my bank account to my paypal account and use that fund to pay for my purchases, it takes more time and a little more annoying though but it's safer.

    Leave a comment:

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X