top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you use for online purchases when no credit card? (Other than a debit card.)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • tobee43
    replied
    i always...or let me put it this way....usually use paypal...directly out of my checking account. i never use my debit card...and if the site doesn't have paypal then i don't buy it.

    Leave a comment:


  • StartinOver
    replied
    You can get a debit card that draws against your paypal balance. You then fund the paypal with your bank account. I do not believe that the debit card on the paypal can "overdraft" the paypal and self-fund through the bank account. If you maintain very carefully your paypal balance, that might work for you.

    Leave a comment:


  • JRScott
    replied
    Does you bank allow bill paying through online banking?

    Might consider paypal if they allow it?

    Other than that you can do pre paid VISAs etc.

    Leave a comment:


  • ab33arch
    replied
    i've never looked into this but i remember seeing something on the news or somewhere on tv about a prepaid credit card.....you deposit money into the account and every time you use it for payments it gets reported to a national credit reporting agency....again, i don't kno how it works or if its good to use or anything really about it....but just a thought...

    Leave a comment:


  • Dax
    replied
    Dee- thanks for the reply. Do you know if they can be used for recurring monthly payments like the Netflix fee?

    Leave a comment:


  • Dee
    replied
    You can use a pre-paid visa, amex, etc gift card. They are available at most grocery stores, Walmart, etc.

    Leave a comment:


  • What do you use for online purchases when no credit card? (Other than a debit card.)

    I'm asking because my debit card number was recently compromised (I have NO idea how, it never leaves me -- but I do (did!) use it for online purchases) and my checking account was hit pretty hard. Fortunately, my bank worked with me to quickly refund my money, BUT I had a few stressful days when my account was overdrawn (auto bill payments came out) and I was left with no $$ and no way to cash a payroll check from my PT job (because I was overdrawn). This, of course, really brought home the importance of an emergency fund (in a separate account), which I've begun building. But that leaves me with the above question.

    I am firmly against getting more credit cards (I'm hoping for discharge in 4 days!) because I know myself too well. But, I don't want to use my debit card for online purchases anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use? Will a pre-paid Visa card work? I'm not familiar with them. And if so, would they also work for things like Netflix? (I got rid of my cable and just LOVE Netflix!)

    Thanks for any and all comments!

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X