Credit card that earns miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit card that earns miles

I was just wondering if you lose miles if you file Chap.7. I accumulated many miles and would not like to lose them.

Sorry but short answer is yes. You will lose any sort of active rewards program tied to the credit card, whether you included it in bk or not (if $0 balance) because the lender will most likely close it upon learning of the bk.
    Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
    AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

In my case I have kept my miles, but I was a member of the airline's mileage program prior to getting their CC. So my miles are associated with an airline versus a credit card company. I had the card for almost 8 years before having to add them to my BK. I just got a statement from the airline and my miles are still intact. Some of those miles were also earned from flights, so my situation may be a little different than yours.
      Filed Chapter 7 on July 30, 2010
      341 scheduled for August 26, 2010 - Done! - Report of No Distribution
      Discharged!!! - November 15, 2010

Comment

toons, so your miles were not associated with the cc but with the airline. You are right that in your instance you kept the miles. When the miles or other rewards are associated with the cc, the fine print booklet in most cases clearly states that they go *poof* unfortunately.
        Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
        AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

If the miles are already with the airline, you are A-ok, I had a great deal of miles. Only the miles from the month I stopped charging and paying went away since thet never credited them, the agreement says you have to stay current to earn miles, so they didn't give me my 70 miles that month.

They can't take them... if you read the print, they belong to the airline not you anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ccsjoe View Post
            toons, so your miles were not associated with the cc but with the airline. You are right that in your instance you kept the miles. When the miles or other rewards are associated with the cc, the fine print booklet in most cases clearly states that they go *poof* unfortunately.
            Unlike a card like Capitol One that enables you to accumulate miles for different airlines, my card was specifically for one Airline. If they were going to try and take my miles, I would challenge them because not all of my miles were earned with the CC. I used to travel quite a bit for my job. Not sure if this applies to the OP's situation, but so far that has been my experience with an airline card.
            Last edited by kartoons19; 09-29-2010, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the response. Very helpful.

I have United miles CC. I have been using it for many years. I have earned miles by flying also. I first had a personal United CC and then I added business United CC 2 years ago. The United miles number is the same for both cards. I will probably have to file Chap 7 sometimes because my business is not doing well. I have $15000 balance on business and $0 balance on my personal card.

Sooo, do I get to keep the miles? I think...according to your posts.

Comment

CJD, My card is with Frontier, and I've kept my miles. I think what helps is that my Frontier card is managed by Barclays, so I'm not sure if Frontier has even been notifed, then again not all of my miles were earned through the CC. Hope it works out for you.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X