top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have 2 children, claim 1 on tax return because of previous divorce....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have 2 children, claim 1 on tax return because of previous divorce....

Ok, does anyone know hot this works? we have 2 children, but only claim 1 on ur tax return because our stepdaughter is claimed on her mother tax return, does she count in the means test?

She is in our school district, we pay for half of eveything, clothes, food for our house, half of braces. etc.

Do we get to claim her as a full person, because trust me we support her financially as 1 whole person, how will the BK attorney view this, and the trustee?

There is no support paid to the mother, nor is there a custody agreement, it was stright forward, and clean.

Your thoughts?

You have no problem claiming her in your bk. You have 'gifted' your exemption on tax as both parents cannot claim on IRS. So that is completely a separate item. If she lives with you and you do most, all, or part, she is part of your household and you should list her for your bk. I doubt anyone, or the mother will object. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Does the mother have to know we are claiming BK? Can we keep this under wraps? How embarressing would that be...

Comment

Originally posted by Mere View Post
        Does the mother have to know we are claiming BK? Can we keep this under wraps? How embarressing would that be...
        We had to list my stepson's mother on our BK as a creditor since we owe her half of ortho for braces. She got a notice of the 341 meeting. So if you owe them any money they have to be listed....Believe me it was very awkward when she called to ask if she had to go to this meeting. I had to explain that she would only need to go if she objects to what we claim we owe.
        Filed CH13/5yr 7/29/10
        341 10/7/10
        Confirmed 11/7/10

Comment

Originally posted by Mere View Post
          Well, your question is a personal situation. I would not be embarrassed and in fact, I feel secure in myself to admit to anyone I bked. Now if you don't tell her, she needs not know. It is Public Record though, but if she has no reason to search, she would not. I she does, so what? It is not her affairs. This is a business decision, not a personal choice. You are doing this as it is right for you. That is simply what it is all about. Don't worry about those who don't count. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X