Info to take to the lawyer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info to take to the lawyer...

I'm gathering all the numbers/info for the lawyers I'm going to interview, and I'm having a little trouble with a couple of things:

Home furnishings/personal property...how do I estimate this, and what is a "normal average" for most people. Our house is 1700 sf, and we don't have any antiques or unusual items. Just regular furniture, clothes, etc...

Is there a "list" of what numbers I should take with me? I have the following already:
    Retirement (STRS, so exempt) Value
    Household furnishings value
    Clothing value
    Car #1 value
    Car #2 value & loan amount
    Credit Card balances
    Home value & Mortgage balances

What am I forgetting?
    --------------------------------------------
    As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. ~Henry David Thoreau

For the initial screening interviews, don't take too many numbers as no attorneys are going to go into much detail pre-retainer. I think with what you listed above you have enough information for the screening interviews. Do not worry about personal property right now unless you have expensive jewelry, antiques, book collections etc. Do take income numbers, projected and past, as well as general expenses and taxes.
    Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
    AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

I am really surprised that attorneys aren't telling people what to bring for their consultation appointments. I am cutting and pasting the questionnaire we mail out to clients to bring to their appointment with them into this post. In addition to the complete questionnaire below we ask that they bring proof of income from all sources for the past six months (actual paystubs). If the client is self-employed we want a balance sheet and income statement for the business for the year so far.

Client Questionnaire (Bankruptcy)
      Your MONTHLYIncome and Expenses

INCOME Gross MONTHLY
      Income
      (Before Taxes)
      How often are you paid?
      _____________ Net MONTHLY Income
      After All
      Deductions
      Your Income
      Spouse’s Income
      Child Support Received
      Total Monthly (We’ll fill this in for you)

EXPENSES
      (Per month) Amount
      Rent
      1st Mortgage Payment (taxes included ___Y ___ N)
      (insurance included ___ Y ___N)
      2nd Mortgage Payment /Home Equity Line
      3rd Mortgage Payment/Home Equity Line
      Property Tax if not included with your mortgage payment
      Heat/Gas
      Water
      Electric
      Trash Pickup
      Home Maintenance
      Telephone
      Cell Phone
      Cable/Satellite
      Internet
      Car Payments 1)______ 2) _______ 3) ________
      Car Insurance
      Life Insurance Premiums ____ term life ____ whole life
      House or Renter’s Insurance (if not included in mortgage pmt)
      Medical Insurance (not deducted from paycheck)
      Medical/Dental monthly out-of-pocket expenses
      Food/Groceries
      Clothing
      Pet expense (Pet food, vet bills etc)
      Child Care
      Child Support Payments (not deducted from your pay)
      Alimony Payments (not deducted from your pay)
      Student Loans (that you are currently paying)
      Dry Cleaning/Laundry
      Charitable Donations (including church donations)
      Entertainment
      Gas/Repairs for vehicles
      School supplies/lunches/activities
      Personal items (toiletries, diapers, etc)
      Total (we’ll fill this in for you)
      DMI $_________ (office use)

YOUR ASSETS (WHAT YOU OWN)

Type of Asset Value (your best estimate) What you owe? How long ago did you acquire the asset?
      Your home 1st Mortgage _____________
      2nd Mortgage
      Vacation Properties
      Rental Properties that you own
      Vehicles
      1)
      2)
      3) 1)
      2)
      3)
      Make/Model/Year
      Mileage for each vehicle 1)______________________________
      2) _____________________________
      3) _____________________________
      Recreational Vehicles
      Stocks, Bonds, Life insurance policies with cash value
      WHAT YOU OWE
      Type of Debt How much owed? Behind on this debt? Court actions pending? Is there a co-signer on this debt?
      Credit Cards
      Personal Loans
      Medical bills
      Unpaid utility bills
      Income Tax
      Property Tax
      Student Loans
      Back Child Support/Alimony
      Check cashing loans
      Book/Music Clubs
      Other – Specify

Yes No
      Have you received any lump sum payments from any employer within the last year (severance, bonuses, retirement packages)? If so, how much & when?

Have you received any inheritances within the last year? If so, how much and when?

If yes, please indicate when the last credit card purchase was made ____________________
      Have you taken any cash advances on your credit cards or taken out any payday type loans within the past six months?

If yes, please indicate when the last cash advance or pay day loan was taken out. _____________________________
      Have you made any purchases on your credit cards for large ticket items (furniture, electronics, jewelry, televisions, computers etc) within the past two years?
      Have you transferred any property from your name to the name of another person within the last five years?
      Have you won anything from lotteries/bingos/gambling within the last year?
      Have you sold any stocks/bonds, properties, vehicles within the last year?
      Have you made any payments whatsoever to family members for monies owed within the last year?
      Other than payments on your mortgage or vehicles, have you made any payments over $600 within the last 90 days to any one creditor?

Family Composition

Who lives in your home? _______ Adults ________ Children
      Ages/Sexes of children? ___________________________________________
      Any "suggestions" I offer are not to be deemed as legal advice, as I am not an attorney. "Suggestions" are offered solely based on my life experiences, education, and what I have observed in the work that I do.

Comment

Originally posted by LaurieM View Post
        I am really surprised that attorneys aren't telling people what to bring for their consultation appointments. I am cutting and pasting the questionnaire we mail out to clients to bring to their appointment with them into this post. In addition to the complete questionnaire below we ask that they bring proof of income from all sources for the past six months (actual paystubs). If the client is self-employed we want a balance sheet and income statement for the business for the year so far.

Client Questionnaire (Bankruptcy)
        Your MONTHLYIncome and Expenses

INCOME Gross MONTHLY
        Income
        (Before Taxes)
        How often are you paid?
        _____________ Net MONTHLY Income
        After All
        Deductions
        Your Income
        Spouse’s Income
        Child Support Received
        Total Monthly (We’ll fill this in for you)

EXPENSES
        (Per month) Amount
        Rent
        1st Mortgage Payment (taxes included ___Y ___ N)
        (insurance included ___ Y ___N)
        2nd Mortgage Payment /Home Equity Line
        3rd Mortgage Payment/Home Equity Line
        Property Tax if not included with your mortgage payment
        Heat/Gas
        Water
        Electric
        Trash Pickup
        Home Maintenance
        Telephone
        Cell Phone
        Cable/Satellite
        Internet
        Car Payments 1)______ 2) _______ 3) ________
        Car Insurance
        Life Insurance Premiums ____ term life ____ whole life
        House or Renter’s Insurance (if not included in mortgage pmt)
        Medical Insurance (not deducted from paycheck)
        Medical/Dental monthly out-of-pocket expenses
        Food/Groceries
        Clothing
        Pet expense (Pet food, vet bills etc)
        Child Care
        Child Support Payments (not deducted from your pay)
        Alimony Payments (not deducted from your pay)
        Student Loans (that you are currently paying)
        Dry Cleaning/Laundry
        Charitable Donations (including church donations)
        Entertainment
        Gas/Repairs for vehicles
        School supplies/lunches/activities
        Personal items (toiletries, diapers, etc)
        Total (we’ll fill this in for you)
        DMI $_________ (office use)

YOUR ASSETS (WHAT YOU OWN)

Type of Asset Value (your best estimate) What you owe? How long ago did you acquire the asset?
        Your home 1st Mortgage _____________
        2nd Mortgage
        Vacation Properties
        Rental Properties that you own
        Vehicles
        1)
        2)
        3) 1)
        2)
        3)
        Make/Model/Year
        Mileage for each vehicle 1)______________________________
        2) _____________________________
        3) _____________________________
        Recreational Vehicles
        Stocks, Bonds, Life insurance policies with cash value
        WHAT YOU OWE
        Type of Debt How much owed? Behind on this debt? Court actions pending? Is there a co-signer on this debt?
        Credit Cards
        Personal Loans
        Medical bills
        Unpaid utility bills
        Income Tax
        Property Tax
        Student Loans
        Back Child Support/Alimony
        Check cashing loans
        Book/Music Clubs
        Other – Specify

Yes No
        Have you received any lump sum payments from any employer within the last year (severance, bonuses, retirement packages)? If so, how much & when?

Have you received any inheritances within the last year? If so, how much and when?

If yes, please indicate when the last credit card purchase was made ____________________
        Have you taken any cash advances on your credit cards or taken out any payday type loans within the past six months?

If yes, please indicate when the last cash advance or pay day loan was taken out. _____________________________
        Have you made any purchases on your credit cards for large ticket items (furniture, electronics, jewelry, televisions, computers etc) within the past two years?
        Have you transferred any property from your name to the name of another person within the last five years?
        Have you won anything from lotteries/bingos/gambling within the last year?
        Have you sold any stocks/bonds, properties, vehicles within the last year?
        Have you made any payments whatsoever to family members for monies owed within the last year?
        Other than payments on your mortgage or vehicles, have you made any payments over $600 within the last 90 days to any one creditor?

Family Composition

Who lives in your home? _______ Adults ________ Children
        Ages/Sexes of children? ___________________________________________
        Wow, a couple atorneys had me fill out a brief basic info questionnaire, but nothing like this for an initial free consultation. Not saying its bad, just a lot of work/info for a screen. On the plus side, it gives you a better picture.
        Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
        AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Just saw an attorney yesterday & this form is basically the same as was sent to me prior my appointment. I feel it was a great help to me as well to see what I do spend each month & helped him see where I was financially. It would be a great 'Sticky' to be printed out prior to an appointment.

Comment

Here's what I tell ppl who call in for an appointment and ask why we need all this information for a consultation appointment. "It's like asking the surgeon to operate without seeing the xrays and tests prior to doing so"... would you want him to operate?
            Any "suggestions" I offer are not to be deemed as legal advice, as I am not an attorney. "Suggestions" are offered solely based on my life experiences, education, and what I have observed in the work that I do.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X