USAA closed bank account during BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USAA closed bank account during BK

I had a checking account that had a zero balance for a couple of weeks. When I tried to deposit money and check the balance, the account's gone. We're more than 60 days out but still not discharged. I did have a big USAA cc balance included in bankruptcy.

But it's inconvenient as heck because my husband's main account is at USAA and now we can't transfer funds.

Is it a violation of stay, though?
    Filed non-consumer no asset Chapter 7 on 7-12-10 after 4 foreclosures, 7 lawsuits including 2 deficiencies, 2 wage garnishments, a bank garnishment and a partridge in a pear tree. 341 held on 8-11-10. Discharge 11-4-10.

No not at all. They have the right to close and usually do so. It is their bank and for their protection. My CU (different laws) froze everything causing a few outstanding check to bounce as well. Since I intended to reaffirm them one call got it unfroze on good faith and the charges refunded. Their action has nothing to do with a stay violation. 'Hub

P.S. same with credit card cancellation.
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I agree with 'Hub. I would also add, that one of the first things that anyone should do when they are preparing to file bankruptcy is to get a checking account at another bank or credit union where you do not have any credit cards or other loans. It is quite common for Credit Unions to close bank accounts when a person bk's on loans with them. Some banks do this as well. Transferring all direct deposits to a new checking account where you are not bk'ing on any debt with that bank, will protect you from having your funds frozen, or from bouncing checks, etc.
      You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
        I agree with 'Hub. I would also add, that one of the first things that anyone should do when they are preparing to file bankruptcy is to get a checking account at another bank or credit union where you do not have any credit cards or other loans. It is quite common for Credit Unions to close bank accounts when a person bk's on loans with them. Some banks do this as well. Transferring all direct deposits to a new checking account where you are not bk'ing on any debt with that bank, will protect you from having your funds frozen, or from bouncing checks, etc.
        Yep, this is exactly what my attorney told me to do.
        Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X