I have a summons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a summons

I have been summoned by Discover - I am a student, with no employer - if they get a judgement against me now, and I filed next spring, will the judgement be able to be discharged with chapter 7?

What else am I risking by not responding to the summons? A lien on my home I assume, although I am upside down in it

Yes, the judgment will be discharged but will stay on your credit report for 7 years. A lien on your home is correct. To get rid of these, you'll need to file a motion to vacate the judgment based on it's inclusion in the bankruptcy. Could you try to buy some time before the judgment is granted?
    Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

I have been sued by several creditors- Discovercard being one of them, and our HOA. I have been told by multiple sources to ALWAYS file an answer. I would file an answer- there is some great info on the internet about filing an answer for cases like this. Even just filing an answer will probably buy you another month or two at least. Even if you agreed that you owe the debt and Discovercard owns it, you could file on the basis of wanting them to prove all their fees, charges, etc. Once you file an answer they cannot obtain an automatic judgement. Discovercard is aggressive and they will get a judgement if you don't file. My husband gota judgement against him by them and they filed a lien (I think on his name, not sure) and got judgement against me and I am in a payment arrangement with them (soon to stop paying and file BK). I filed an answer on a different account on Dec. 6, thinking I would fight it b/c it is a 3rd party collector. But after talking with a few attorneys I have decided to file BK soon instead. I have not heard anything since I filed my answer regarding this case.

Comment

Report to court on the date listed on the summons or you will be issued a bench warrant. Meaning if you ever get stopped by the police for speeding or anything else they will take you into custody in most cases.
        The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

I don't know if that's true, the paperwork you get when you have a summons says if you don't come to court then a default judgement would be entered. Now if you get paperwork in the mail stating you have to go to court to discuss your assets with the creditor who has a default judgement against you and you don't show up that's when the court would issue a bench warrant.
          Filed:11/2010
          341 Meeting:1/5/2011
          Discharge:3/2011

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X