Question about telling creditors about BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about telling creditors about BK

I just have another quick question. We are a few months behind on our monthly fee for our home alarm monitoring service (we don't use it at all and don't even want it anymore but we are in a contract until March of 2012). They call everyday and send letters about us being behind. I have no intention of paying them another penny since we are going to be filing BK in the next 8 weeks or so, and will be including them. Is there a risk in telling them that we are going to file BK and they can quit wasting their time calling and sending letters? We have tried every which way to get out of the contract with them and they will not budge.
    Along with that, is there a risk in telling creditors you plan on filing BK?

Thanks as always!

I would not tell them. Until you actually have that filing completed, they will not stop calling anyways. You would have better luck changing your number.
    Filed Chapter 7 October 5, 2010 -341 held Nov. 8, 2010- Report of No Distribution Nov. 12th, 2010- Discharged 1-10-2011 Closed 1-28-2011

Comment

I agree with tyson and would not tell them either, until filing. I think that "knowledge is power." I held off telling any of my creditors about my upcoming bk until it was actually filed. Then I felt that I had something more "concrete" to tell them. I also was afraid that they would try and sneak in some annoying lawsuit at the last minute, if they knew my plans.

Comment

We are including our alarm as well. They call me but i havent told them. I usually just ignore the calli

Comment

Voice mail is your friend. Silence is your best friend.......
          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
          Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I wouldn't tell them and I would definitely include them as a creditor. My attorney thought I was being ridiculous for including the $179 I owed to my alarm company but hey, I'm supposed to include everyone, right? And I did it partially out of spite as they were AWFUL to deal with.

FYI - check your contract if they installed the system - they may want to come and remove it and leave a nice hole in your wall.
            over $100K cc debt,$20K taxes,$332K mortgages/value $190K,surrendered
            Confirmed, $801/month 56 down,4 to go

Comment

There is no harm in telling creditors that you intend to file for bankruptcy. If you do not have an actual case number from an attorney, they will not stop trying to collect on the debt by whatever means they choose. If they decide to take you to court, it will take months to do so, during which time you simply file for BK and the automatic stay shuts them down completely. Just relax - you are in control, not the creditors.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X