top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collections agencys calling my exhusband, exmother inlaw, ex sister inlaw!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collections agencys calling my exhusband, exmother inlaw, ex sister inlaw!!!

How emabaressing, my exsister inlaw whom I am still friends with keeps getting phone calls from NCO Financial, as have my exhusband, and now my exmother inlaw...that is the worst feeling. They have all been nice enough not to give my new number, as we have good relationships...but everytime it happens I feel so low

I finally called NCO and told them not to call my family anymore, and gave them my lawyers number as the only contact they should use. Is that the right thing to do?

They asked me the numbers that they should not contact anymore so they can take them off of their auto dial list...I ddin't want to give them but she said that was the only way to take them off the list...is that a trick?

AHHHH I am so mad, and embaressed...I guess I better get over that real quick huh? or it will just eat me up inside. Why is it human nature for us to always want others to think your doing alright, who teachs us that? So many areas of life could be so much easier if things weren't made to make us feel ashamed or embaressed. I need a pep talk guys, please!!!

YOu can write them with a cease and desist letter, basically stating that you are demanding that they do not call you or those other members again and that all future correspondence is to be in writing. I have done this with 2 credit card companies and about 10 days later, they will stop calling. Another thing you can do is call them once a week and ask them about a payoff plan for a lower payment. Just tell them they have to go much lower with the payments or that you need say 3 months before you can begin paying. They will likely refuse, but they will stop calling you for about a week if you call them once a week trying to work something out.

Comment

I don't blame you for feeling that way. To me this is criminal of them to do this. There was a lady working for my mom that always ran into credit problems and the people would call my mom and constantly badger her about this. My mom will tell them off, but you can see how this tactic will eventually get someone fired or make enemies of their friends and family. Thankfully they aren't calling people you are enemies with.

But try that cease and desist letter, it's really easy to do. You can even ask the creditors calling you where you can send the cease and desist, e.g. what is their address.

Comment

I got a call from a collector the other day about a friend I went to college with. The collector was really snotty, so I told him that I couldn't release any information unless he had a federal security clearance of SECRET or TOP SECRET.

He told me that he did indeed have a TOP SECRET clearance (lol, yeah right), so I gave him the number of the pay phone at the Inmarsat satellite station on Pitcairn Island. (It costs a small fortune to call that phone.)

I usually give a fictitious address in a tiny hamlet in St. Lawrence County, New York, but I was full of creativity (or full of something, anyway) the other day.

-Rich
        Filed Chapter 7: 8/24/2010. Discharged: 12/01/2010
        Member and Exalted Grand Master: American Sarcasm Society (A.S.S.).

Comment

Originally posted by Mere View Post
          How emabaressing, my exsister inlaw whom I am still friends with keeps getting phone calls from NCO Financial, as have my exhusband, and now my exmother inlaw...that is the worst feeling. They have all been nice enough not to give my new number, as we have good relationships...but everytime it happens I feel so low

They are going to keep calling everyone until they can establish contact with you. That's the way it is and the way it works. Either send them a cease and desist letter or give them your number. Voice mail works great for collectors.

I finally called NCO and told them not to call my family anymore, and gave them my lawyers number as the only contact they should use. Is that the right thing to do?

Have you filed for bk? Has your lawyer gave you permission to give his number for a contact?

They asked me the numbers that they should not contact anymore so they can take them off of their auto dial list...I ddin't want to give them but she said that was the only way to take them off the list...is that a trick?

Not a trick, however it is a good collections tactic.

AHHHH I am so mad, and embaressed...I guess I better get over that real quick huh? or it will just eat me up inside. Why is it human nature for us to always want others to think your doing alright, who teachs us that? So many areas of life could be so much easier if things weren't made to make us feel ashamed or embaressed. I need a pep talk guys, please!!!
          Good luck.
          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
          Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Originally posted by RichM View Post
            I got a call from a collector the other day about a friend I went to college with. The collector was really snotty, so I told him that I couldn't release any information unless he had a federal security clearance of SECRET or TOP SECRET.

He told me that he did indeed have a TOP SECRET clearance (lol, yeah right), so I gave him the number of the pay phone at the Inmarsat satellite station on Pitcairn Island. (It costs a small fortune to call that phone.)

I usually give a fictitious address in a tiny hamlet in St. Lawrence County, New York, but I was full of creativity (or full of something, anyway) the other day.

-Rich
            I don't know why but this somehow reminds me of a Seinfeld episode, where Jerry asks for the number of the solicitor and then tells him off. I think I would have a lot of fun with a call like that as well.

Comment

For a debt collector to talk to anyone but the actual debtor is in violation of the National Fair Debt Collections Act. Read here, and good luck!

The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act spells out rights and responsibilities when collecting debts. Here's where you can find the complete text of the law.
              Chapter 7 filed 10/8/10...341 Meeting 12/6/10....Discharged 2/16/2011....Case Closed! 3/1/2011

Comment

I read somewhere else that this is the reason that credit card applications ask for the names and phone numbers of three people you know, not related to you. It's not for a reference, it's so that if you ever stop paying them, they have the phone numbers of people they can call and harrass in an attempt to get to you.

Pretty sneaky. :-P

Comment

Originally posted by ohiogal View Post
                  I read somewhere else that this is the reason that credit card applications ask for the names and phone numbers of three people you know, not related to you. It's not for a reference, it's so that if you ever stop paying them, they have the phone numbers of people they can call and harrass in an attempt to get to you.

Pretty sneaky. :-P
                  If that's true, and it most likely is, then I should go into business giving people my name and MagicJack number (which I never answer, anyway) so they can give it to creditors as a reference. Since I don't know the people anyway, I couldn't possibly give up any information, even if the collector tortured me.

What do you think would be a fair price to charge for this service?

-Rich
                  Filed Chapter 7: 8/24/2010. Discharged: 12/01/2010
                  Member and Exalted Grand Master: American Sarcasm Society (A.S.S.).

Comment

You can use a cease and desist, but then after about six months of being unable to pay them, some creditors might decide to sue. (A couple of mine did.)

When I had employees, I never believed in giving out anybody's contact information, unless they specifically stated that it was O.K. So, I didn't give out my attorney's name and number to any collectors until after I filed BK. Then, I gave out his name and my case number to the few on my matrix that claimed they hadn't received their letter yet.

Last year, collectors also frequently called my brother looking for me, but he used to have a lot of fun with it. He would pretend he had just received a post card from me, from for example, Yugoslavia.

Comment

-Rich
                      Lol that made me laugh I love it!!!

Comment

Thank you for all of your ideas, they are all very helpful, and very funny...I am filing BK the end of this month so this should all come to an end soon.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokeinMD View Post
                          For a debt collector to talk to anyone but the actual debtor is in violation of the National Fair Debt Collections Act. Read here, and good luck!

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...edit/cre27.pdf
                          While it is true that the debt can not be discussed with anyone else, a collector or skip tracer can and will talk to anyone they can in order to locate the debtor. The OP is hiding from the collectors and the collectors are just doing what they do, trying to locate accurate contact info on the debtor.
                          All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                          Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

-Rich

LOL! Love it!

Comment

I would write them a cease and desist letter and give them your lawyer's contact info and send it certified return receipt requested. If they continue after that, let your attorney know and s/he will take care of it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X