top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I made the paper today...I feel like an a@@.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It depends on the editorial policies of the newspapers in your area. Some don't print consumer bankruptcy filings unless the person is well-known. In heavily populated areas it would be cost-prohibitive because of the volume of filings. You could call the paper and ask.

I don't know if you clicked the link JackBondLove's post, but it lists many admirable historical figures who also declared bankruptcy. If you do file, you will be in good company.
    There are two secrets for success in life:
    1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

jman,
      If I were you, I'd gather up all the papers in your area (buy them, get them at library, see what's at the newstand) and check to see if they contain BK listings. If they do, its likely you'll get published, and if so, I'd work on a plan as to how to deal with it coming out.

I personally didn't tell anyone and it didn't get published (I live in a large metro area). However, it has come to haunt me on a few occassions, I once didn't get a job because of a public records report showing my BK. A few months ago I was opening a bank account (checking and savings only, no credit). There was a long pause while the person stared at the computer screen. The person didn't say anything, but I was uncomfortable wondering if she was seeing my BK. Hopefully you won't be published, but either way, I recommend working on how you'd respond if someone finds out so you don't overreact (I'm still working on my own response).

Good Luck.

Comment

jman...I live in Arkansas, so I'm sure it's very different here than in NY. Every Monday our state paper runs about a page on all the filings listed by town called "Bankruptcy Watch"...very important information, I guess. It only runs one day on the Monday after you file, but I'm sure that varies. If you're in a heavily populated area, I doubt they'll ever run it. I noticed the foreclosures are actually run (many pages) in tiny print that no one would bother to read. I think that's more typical of most paper's handling of bankruptcy news. I hate our paper! Our local paper ran a front page story about a local businessman who filed, and he owed a lot of money to many people in the area. Ironically, he had run retail ads in that paper for decades...that's loyalty to the customer for you!
        Filed 1/31/11 341 3/2/11 Waiting for discharge........

Comment

I am blessed in that I don't give a damn what people think. I possess the oft unused ability to tell anyone to f*** off at any time. I suggest you answer the phone, assume they are calling to be supportive, and if they aren't, tell them to go to he11. You'll feel better.

Congrats for taking the plunge, whatever you feel now will be over, whereas debt can drag on forever.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X