Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally Some Relief About Bankruptcy Decision

Hi everyone,

I just want to say thank you for this forum. My husband and I have been struggling for years with debt. We tried credit counseling but that wasn't much help. In Jan 2010, I was laid off from my job and I became very ill. The mounting medical bills over the past year have lead to wracking up our credit cards. I had been trying to work with one hospital over a $4000 dollar bill. First they said they would send me financial assistance forms and then they wouldn't. Obviously, we are struggling to make ends meet and we have been talking about bankruptcy for awhile. I guess this news from the hospital was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.

Today, we made the decision to file for bankruptcy after years of struggling to do the "right" thing. I have been reading over the past couple of months and have learned so much. It wasn't an easy decision but for the first time in ages, I feel some relief. We have the name of a good bankruptcy attorney who handled the case of a close friend of ours. It will be a few months before we file but the BK preplanning thread has gotten us off on a plan of action. Today, I cut up all my credit cards and that felt like total freedom.

It's just nice to know there is somewhere we can go to talk to others since we won't be sharing any of this with our families. It will just be nice to have a "fresh start".

I understand how you feel, this board has been the only thing to keep me sane. Good luck on your journey to a fresh start!
    A fresh start is a beautiful thing. And I'm not an attorney, just opinionated!

Comment

Everyone talks about how great it feels to get the discharge orders, and I haven't experienced that yet. I do know that I felt almost immediately better once the decision was made and I knew it would probably work. I sat in the first lawyer's office and bawled to a paralegal that didn't know the laws and picked at her face the whole time while she told me I would have to file a 13. I'm glad I made an a@@ of myself in front of her...what a waste of space she was and I don't care if she saw snot bubbles come out of my nose. I was relieved immediately when I talked to a real lawyer, and filed a Chapter 7 as soon as I went through the waiting game. Good luck to you, and I'm glad you've found your solution!
      Filed 1/31/11 341 3/2/11 Waiting for discharge........

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X