Question Regarding Joint CC Account w/Parent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question Regarding Joint CC Account w/Parent

First let me say thanks to everyone that helps here. I got my CH7 discharge last year. But for this forum, I would've been screwed, blued & tattooed.

I have a family member that's considering declaring BK. To keep the indirect references from confusing my question, I'll as it as if it's my situation.

So...

My wife and I are considering declaring BK. I have a CC account I would like to include in the discharge (assuming such). The card in question is in my name with my Mom as co-signer.

Will this debt be discharged and/or are there any downstream consequences for my Mom?

If your mom is co-signer the bank will and can go after her. Your obligation to pay will be discharged with the debt.
    A fresh start is a beautiful thing. And I'm not an attorney, just opinionated!

Comment

Originally posted by discombob1 View Post
      If your mom is co-signer the bank will and can go after her. Your obligation to pay will be discharged with the debt.
      So just to be clear, I'm relieved of the obligation but the debt remains and full obligation passes to my Mom. Is that a correct restatement?

Comment

That is my understanding.
        Filed Chapter 7 on 2/22/11, 341 meeting held 3/30/11, relief of stay on foreclosure 4/12/11, relief of stay on auto 5/17/11, Discharge on 6/6/11!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X