top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what would a government shutdown mean for the BK courts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what would a government shutdown mean for the BK courts?

It looks like we are going to go through with another shutdown. I wonder what effect this would have on the BK courts. Does everything just go on hiatus?

Last time this happened, nothing changed. The court systems remained funded.
    Pay no attention to anything I post. I graduated last in my class from a fly-by-night law school that no longer exists; I never studied or went to class; and I only post on internet forums when I'm too drunk to crawl away from the computer.

Comment

The AP has some info in the story at the URL below. They didn't go into bankruptcy courts specifically but did have this to say about federal courts:

"Federal courts would be unable to hear cases as employees like clerks, stenographers, bailiffs, and security guards would not be at work."

In terms of bankruptcy courts, it's still kind of hard to determine what this might mean. I know my 341 meeting didn't have any stenographers, bailiffs, or security guards in the first place so maybe they'll still forge ahead?

Here's the URL for the whole story:
      OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

It sounds like some cases in the Federal system would be affected. ??

http://money.msn.com/taxes/latest.as...e12977&_nwpt=1

Comment

I just heard on my local news that the BK courts in MI would close if there was a gov. shutdown.

Comment

Originally posted by BAR View Post
            I just heard on my local news that the BK courts in MI would close if there was a gov. shutdown.
            Good grief...so for those (like me) who may need to file we would SOL...unless they'd be open to lodge filings...would that be considered "essential?" What if some multinational "needs" to file Ch 11 in the middle of the night??

Comment

Originally posted by BAR View Post
              I heard the samething, I wonder what happens to deadlines (post 341), do they stop on Saturday?
              Filed Pro Se: 11.12.2010 ~ 341: 1.12.2011 ~ Discharged: 3.9.2011 ~ Officially an Asset Case: 3.30.2011 ~ Last Day to File Asset Claim: 6.28.2011 ~ Trustee Final Report: 8.1.2011 ~ Asset Distribution: 8.31.2011 ~ Case Close: 11.15.2011

Comment

I just saw postings on the "internets" that fed courts and bankruptcy courts will keep operating - it seems the bankruptcy courts can go on for a while operating and paying ee's from fees only...)

Comment

I just spoke with a friend of mine in Florida. She handles federal Bk's and said they have to get the info into the system by close of business on Thursday.

I hope there is not a shutdown.
                  Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
                  341 meeting on 5/28/2010
                  Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

Originally posted by MSbklawyer View Post
                    Last time this happened, nothing changed. The court systems remained funded.
                    Exactly.

Don't believe the scare tactics coming from the left.

And don't count on the Republicans to actually have a backbone.

There will be no shutdown.

My $0.02 only...

Good luck.
                    No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

I agree with Shark66. The politicians--both sides!--are yanking your chains, folks. Just take a deep breath and go on about your business....
                      Last edited by AngelinaCat; 04-07-2011, 04:12 PM.
                      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Sure hope so.....set to be discharged on Monday. GRR!
                        04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Comment

The BK courts in CO will continue to function...however, it is not yet clear if the UST or the BK-Trustees will continue to operate if the government shuts down.

Comment

So basically if the courts are not shut down, you can still file. But if the UST or BK-trustees are not working, would your 341 and case just be delayed? What about deadlines for creditor objections?

Comment

Originally posted by sealpup View Post
                              So basically if the courts are not shut down, you can still file. But if the UST or BK-trustees are not working, would your 341 and case just be delayed? What about deadlines for creditor objections?
                              It seems that courts will continue to run and bankruptcy courts can run for about 2 weeks from funds from fees...

http://www.scribnerbankruptcyblog.com/2011/04/impact-of-possible-federal-government-shutdown-on-bankruptcy-courts.sh
                              tml

http://www.law.com/jsp/nylj/PubArticleNY.jsp?id=1202489411638&Little_Change_Se en_for_US_Courts_in_Event_of_Government_Shutdown&s lreturn=1&hbxlogin=1

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X