Update: Met with Attorney who is also a Trustee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update: Met with Attorney who is also a Trustee

I met with the attorney who is also a Trustee today. He was very nice, friendly, down to Earth and fun to talk to. He said he is usually rather conservative with his clients, but he sees no problems with my case. I qualify for Ch.7 and the house and truck can be exempted easily, he said. No need for a market analysis by a realtor. He said using Edmonds.com value for the truck value is absolutely fine. He also said getting estimates in writing for needed repairs would help.

He said we have no rush to file in my case, and that it's ok to buy a different vehicle and trade my truck in. I suggested waiting the 90 days because I had used my cards recently (Kohl's & Old Navy) and he said he didn't think Kohl's or Old Navy would come after me, lol...but that we could wait to file.

Another good thing is that he told me that my credit union won't kick me out unless I cause them a loss, which is also what they told me.

So he gave me some paperwork to fill out and some necessary documents I need to submit to him, and then I will give a $300 retainer. His fee is only $1200, and with filing cost and required debtor education, it will total around $1600.

When I told him that another local attorney mentioned Trustees being cranky, he said that he gets cranky with the attorneys who are not properly representing their clients and giving them a raw deal.

He was impressed with how much research I've done and was STILL joking around about if I wanted a job, lol.

He really put my mind at ease and I'm so glad I met with him and have found an attorney who has concrete answers instead of "hmm, maybe, I don't know" answers.

Originally posted by octoblonde View Post
    I met with the attorney who is also a Trustee today. He was very nice, friendly, down to Earth and fun to talk to. He said he is usually rather conservative with his clients, but he sees no problems with my case. I qualify for Ch.7 and the house and truck can be exempted easily, he said. No need for a market analysis by a realtor. He said using Edmonds.com value for the truck value is absolutely fine. He also said getting estimates in writing for needed repairs would help.

He said we have no rush to file in my case, and that it's ok to buy a different vehicle and trade my truck in. I suggested waiting the 90 days because I had used my cards recently (Kohl's & Old Navy) and he said he didn't think Kohl's or Old Navy would come after me, lol...but that we could wait to file.

Another good thing is that he told me that my credit union won't kick me out unless I cause them a loss, which is also what they told me.

So he gave me some paperwork to fill out and some necessary documents I need to submit to him, and then I will give a $300 retainer. His fee is only $1200, and with filing cost and required debtor education, it will total around $1600.

When I told him that another local attorney mentioned Trustees being cranky, he said that he gets cranky with the attorneys who are not properly representing their clients and giving them a raw deal.

He was impressed with how much research I've done and was STILL joking around about if I wanted a job, lol.

He really put my mind at ease and I'm so glad I met with him and have found an attorney who has concrete answers instead of "hmm, maybe, I don't know" answers.
    All the best of luck to you!!! It sounds like you found the perfect lawyer! And only 1600? WOW!!! Is this NYC by any chance?

Comment

Thank you. Unfortunately, no, it's not NYC. It's in Upstate NY. Northern District.

Comment

Wow, what a deal. Here in NJ it's ranged 1800-3500 plus fees!

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You did very well. I am so glad you followed your 'hunch'.
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thank you, Angelina! Yes, I'm glad I followed my hunch, too. Women's intuition is a good thing, lol.

Keepsmiling, what a difference in fees. Are those prices for a Ch.7? Maybe mine are lower because the cost of living is so cheap here.

Comment

Makes you feel really good to know you will not be one of those unfortunate clients that has one of the attorneys that the trustee gets to get cranky about. That is a huge laugh and totally understood, I have seen some real idiots for attorneys, plus some really good ones as well.

This sounds very easy and doable for you, congratulations!!!
              Hired Attorney 8/28/10 Filed Chapter 7 11/08/10 341 12/14/2010 Report of NO DISTRIBUTION 12/15/2010 Waiting for February 14 2011, date objections due.
              DISCHARGED and CLOSED 2/15/2011

Comment

Thank you, Panda. Yes, I'm glad I won't be getting a cranky Trustee. This attorney said he'd rather see a good pro se filer (which most are not, according to him) than a filer with a lousy attorney, lol. I'd have to agree with him on that.

Comment

You did well. I chose an attorney who is also a chapter 7 panel trustee and I think it helps smooth out the process.
                  filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Originally posted by octoblonde View Post
                    Thank you. Unfortunately, no, it's not NYC. It's in Upstate NY. Northern District.
                    Thanks - I guess that explains the price...mine were it to be a CH7 would be about 3500!!!! (Not NYC but a similarly HIGH HIGH HIGH Priced metro area)

Comment

Congratulations! I loved our attorney/trustee. Ours was higher ($2500) - but she was lower than others around here, so I still feel like we got a deal. And honestly, I would have paid more for the peace of mind she gave me throughout the entire process. Her paralegal -- different story -- but still only a few GRR!!! moments throughout the process.
                      04/01/10 - Hit rock bottom and knew we were going to have to file for bankruptcy and surrender our home. 12/14/10 - Filed Chapter 7, 02/09/11 - 341 Hearing, 04/14/11 -

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X