Aaahhh...The Vultures Are Starting to Circle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaahhh...The Vultures Are Starting to Circle

Just got home today, checked the mail and found a letter from a local car dealership. It reads as follows:
    FRESH START FINANCING

The U.S. Bankruptcy Court record indicates you have recently filed for protection forom your creditors. If you are in need of automobile financing, I would like to assist you in obtaining your goal. [Name of dealer] is a franchise new car dealer with a nice selection of hand picked pre-owned vehicles to select from.

Formal discharge may not be necessary to purchase a vehicle. This means you may be able to purchase before you turn your current one into the court. Call me before your 341 meeting for details of our exclusive bank program. [Includes address and reminder of close proximity to bankruptcy court.]

I guess the fun is only beginning. Does it get even more absurd and blood thirsty as the process continues? The aren't even waiting for my bankrupt carcass to be dead before they circle overhead.
    Filed: 3/7/06
    341: 4/3/06
    Last Day for Objections: 6/2/06
    Discharged: 6/9/06
    Case Closed: 6/15/06

Yeah I get alot of crap like that. It hits the trash can with the quickness.

Comment

Wait until you're discharged and see the offers you get congratulating you on your discharge and then touting their "2nd chance program." Me, I'm done with credit for a lifetime. I don't even open the letters anymore.

Comment

LOL......this is an almost everyday occurance for us. The mail is loaded with this crap. Although, I'm glad it's not letters from creditors anymore. I'll take junk mail anyday over creditor letters. Anyways, they hit the garbage can before I walk through the door.
        Bankruptcy History:
        Chapter 7 filed - 10/12/2005 - Asset
        Discharged - 02/16/2006
        Case Closed - 11/08/2007

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain ~ Mark Twain

All suggestions are based on personal experience and research and SHOULD NOT be construed as legal advice as I am NOT an attorney. Always consult with competent counsel in your area with regards to your particular situation.

Comment

Be VERY CAREFUL of any "second chance" programs!!!!

If a creditor that you discharged offers you another credit card with them, read the fine print real close.
          Now they will send you another card, but in the fine print it states that if you accept this card, you give them permission to bill you for anything that you might have owed them before on another account.

They are NOT billing you - they are requesting your permission to add on old charges to the new account. If you agree, they are allowed to add these charges back and you get too pay them

So be Very Careful before you sign on that dotted line and mail it back if you had an account with them before......

Just a thought,

Minny
          Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

Originally posted by Minnymouth

If a creditor that you discharged offers you another credit card with them, read the fine print real close.
            Now they will send you another card, but in the fine print it states that if you accept this card, you give them permission to bill you for anything that you might have owed them before on another account.

They are NOT billing you - they are requesting your permission to add on old charges to the new account. If you agree, they are allowed to add these charges back and you get too pay them

So be Very Careful before you sign on that dotted line and mail it back if you had an account with them before......

Just a thought,

Minny
            ya know... I don't mean to be a doubter and I'm sure you know what you're talking about... but this just doesn't seem right.

I mean, it's illegal to pursue debt that is discharged in bk... and reaffirmations have to #1 be approved by the court and #2 be done before you close your bk.

I wouldn't put it past a cc company to try this... but it seems to me that it's probably not legal.

Obviously I reserve the right to be wrong... I guess I just want to believe that the system has SOME good to it!
            Filed Ch. 7 Pro-Se: 10/12/06
            341: 11/6/06 (went AMAZINGLY well!)
            Discharge: 1/12/07
            Closed:1/19/07

Comment

Originally posted by Minnymouth

Just a thought,

Minny
              Thanks for the heads-up, Minny. I'll definitely take my time and be very careful about who I do business with after the discharge. I just found that letter to be most amusing since I haven't had my 341 yet (it's on 4/3/06.)

Comment

I hear ya!

My boyfriend said last night, "aren't you going to get any of these credit cards?" I said, "no way, jose!"

I do not want to screw up anymore!

Do not be swayed!
                Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
                Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

Originally posted by AMISLANDER
                  My boyfriend said last night, "aren't you going to get any of these credit cards?" I said, "no way, jose!"

I do not want to screw up anymore!

Do not be swayed!
                  If I could go through life without dealing with any credit cards, I would. But our economy and society is not based on cash-and-carry any longer. If we don't have some sort of credit, it becomes very difficult to buy cars, houses, large appliances, etc.

I'll be discriminating, and at least we have this board to watch each other's backs. Those of us that have been through/are going through bankruptcy have to look out for each other.

Comment

We both opted out w/ the "Big 3" bureaus, so we haven't received much mail. However, since our discharge, the car dealers have inundated us w/ mail - everything from local dealers to tiny, small town dealerships on the other side of the state. Most have been fairly discreet.

However - the other day I got a HUGE postcard, Red letters printed so big you could read it from 10 feet away:

"GREAT NEWS FOR OUR RECENT BANKRUPTCY CUSTOMERS!!!"

What a bunch of knuckleheads...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X