top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can listing a public charter school in a bk get your child kicked out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can listing a public charter school in a bk get your child kicked out?

I feel like I am asking way too many questions lately, but as we get super close to filing my mind is running wild w/possibilities...

My son goes to a charter school. It's a public school that we had to get on a waiting list for. It's his first year there. I owe them approx. $500 related to fundraising activities. I don't really want to put this on our matrix, but I know we have to. Can my son get kicked out of this school for this? He's only 6, but I do worry about people there finding out and somehow mistreating him b/c of our bk filing or teasing him. Is there anything else I need to worry about with this?

I would go in and talk with the principle or administrator and let them know what is going on. (I'm sure you won't be the first family to have filed for bankruptcy). I have no idea how charter schools work, but if you owe them money and that would affect his eligibility to attend, then perhaps make arrangements to pay them after the bankruptcy.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

I highly doubt it would be a problem. Do I know for sure, no. But given the over all context of how these schools work, a BK should have no affect on eligibility.

Comment

Since this is a school a pay through would probably not be considered a preferential payment. Keep paying but since you will have to list them, alert them to the fact because on your matrix, the "suggestion of bankruptcy" will be mailed to them also. 'Hub
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

only thing that concerns me is it being related to "fundraising activities." Did your son take in money for a fund raiser and you used it for personal expenses? If so, that might be an issue in my opinion...
          (10/28/10 - Filed) (12/09/10 - 341), (1/20/11 - Confirmed)
          08/11/11 - Spouse filed Divorce
          10/11/11 - Payments amended

Comment

posted in error.
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X