top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My creditors got bailed out, but I didn't. My taxes paid their lawyers to sue me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My creditors got bailed out, but I didn't. My taxes paid their lawyers to sue me!

That is the most frustrating thing for me right now. I am 47 years old and have been successfully self-employed all my adult life. I started with nothing and built a business that had 15 employees at one point. Until now I have never gone bankrupt or even had a judgement against me because I was willing to work 80-hour weeks when needed (I realize that working hard sometimes doesn't cut it when catastrophes hit). I brought new jobs into the economy and paid tens of thousands of dollars in income tax each year after starting with a $4,000 loan from a credit union in 1988.

When the economy went into the gutter in 2008 due to the mortgage fiasco, my business sales went down right along with it. I have been working 16-hour days solo ever since then trying to work my way out of debt - but the deck has been stacked against me. Instead of finding creditors that are willing to work with me, I am finding ravenous wolves who seem to have only one goal in mind: my financial destruction.

Recently, all of my creditors have decided to sue me all at once. When I call the attorney numbers on the summons, I get recorded messages with no way to work out a settlement with them - they just want a judgement, and they are determined to get them.

It's obvious that my creditors have unleashed a lot of legal muscle against me - paid for by my own tax dollars (I still owe $35k to the IRS - that will help them buy even more muscle). Here is the irony... my creditors and my country actually went bankrupt before I did. They spent lavishly and lived way beyond their means. Then they ganged up on me and made me foot the bill for their own irresponsibility in the form of a business-busting economic disaster (which was caused by the banks and the government).

These banks that should have gone bankrupt before I did were able to rob my tax dollars to lawyer-up and sue me into bankruptcy. In the process they have driven me out of business and destroyed a thriving small business that was adding jobs to the economy.

This makes me so angry I could bite a nail in half. I am willing to pay my debt ($150,000 owed to 12 creditors). I have had commercial loans that were larger than this amount in the past and paid them off in full. But they won't let me work out of it... they are pushing me into a corner that I cannot work out of.

The USA is already bankrupt. Our government borrows half of their budget each year, and they are only talking about slashing 3% from their lavish spending plan next year. THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!! Surely their house will come tumbling down before long?? This is such a double standard that it makes me nauseous!

Last edited by Broke2011; 04-20-2011, 05:53 PM.

I cannot really offer anything other than moral support to you right now. Welcome to the forum, and please know you are among friends you haven't met yet. Feel free to come and vent when you need to.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I know....it's a joke! Right after some of the banks took the bail out they started reducing credit limits, which started to reduce scores, which started to cause higher rates due to increased risk, which caused some of us to end up here on the forum. On the bright side? At least we're in good company, lol.

Comment

Agreed, excellent company and support here.

Your hit the nail on the head Broke2011, when the market started to plummet, I lost it all as well, job, everything and I got sued and I knew more were coming. The creditors are ruthless and ironically enough you can hang up the phone with someone that is suing you and turn on the television and hear about their corporate bailout or fraud etc. It is sad times indeed.

I'm sorry you are going through this, but this forum has been absolutely amazing for me and from what I have read for many others.
        Chapter 7 Filed: 04/21/2011, 341 Meeting: 05/31/2011, Report of No Distrubution: 06/02/2011, Discharged: 08/03/2011, Closed: 08/10/11

Comment

Has the American dream died? The other thing that makes me mad is in my state if your credit score goes down your house and car insurance rates go up, what a rip. And we all know what Chase did to about one million people.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X