top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Given the choice- pay 1st or 2nd mortgage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given the choice- pay 1st or 2nd mortgage?

We finally filed Ch. 7 on Monday. We are about 1.5 payments behind on the 1st and 2 payments behind on the 2nd mortgage. Our home is upside down by about $50k or so, the 2nd mortgage is worth $70k. We can't catch up on these both at the same time, I'm assuming it's wiser to pay the 1st before the 2nd, since the 1st is probably a lot more likely to enforce their lien. Am I right?

You most certainly are correct. Pay the first and tell second to...

Pound sand, of course...

Good luck.
    No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

Yes, pay the first.
      Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
      0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

I agree, pay the 1st over the 2nd, however before you go and do so - are you keeping the house & in the long term - can you afford to keep the house? If not, then IMO you'd be throwing $ down the drain. Remember the 2nd can foreclose at any time regardless if upside down or not (but it'd be stupid for them to do so....)

Comment

It is either pay first, or pay neither. There is never any benefit to only paying the 2nd.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X