will they go over your bank statements and if so for how long

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will they go over your bank statements and if so for how long

i truly have to file soon but am nervous because i have some withdrawls and deposits into my checking account that have been used for online poker? is this gonna create a huge problem?

Um, yes, they do go over your bank statements. In my case they wanted 6 months worth, and they reviewed them with me at the 341 for things they thought might be questionable. Don't know if they all do or not.

Comment

Originally posted by oaklag
      i truly have to file soon but am nervous because i have some withdrawls and deposits into my checking account that have been used for online poker? is this gonna create a huge problem?
      Hey, just go in and explain it, be truthful. If you have an attorney, go over your bank statments with your attorney and see if anything raises a flag or not.
      Chapter 13 Filed 4/03/06 :blink: 341 Meeting Complete 5/11/06 :yes2:
      Plan Confirmation 6/16/06 :yahoo:
      Discharged: 1/5/2010 :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

I have withdrawals and receipts for online poker. I made $900 in the last six months playing online. However, I quit playing poker in December, and now have 3 months of no activity. My 341 meeting is May 10th, so I will let you know if it is an issue.

My attorney didn't seem to think twice about, just said that "Yes, the $900 needs to be added as income for the means test."
        Filed..................03/31/06
        341 Meeting............05/10/06
        Discharge..............07/17/06
        Case Closed............07/17/06

Comment

This is "why" you have an attorney, yes it's income on the means test..... not a big issue...
          Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

time4cake

let me know what happens -- i am in the same situation with online poker -- let me know if it is a problem- thx

Comment

Unless you're doing something fraudulent like trying to hide assets, I don't think you have much to worry about.

I asked my attorney about this same thing (but due to tax return and selling some of my property) and he said, unless you are hiding the cash somewhere or used it to pay a family member back for debt... not much to worry about. He said that even if we had taken it all down to Atlantic city and gambled it away it wouldn't likely be a big deal. All they're looking for is hidden assets and/or fraud. As long as you're honest with your attorney, you problably have nothing to worry about... unless THEY tell you to worry!
              Filed Ch. 7 Pro-Se: 10/12/06
              341: 11/6/06 (went AMAZINGLY well!)
              Discharge: 1/12/07
              Closed:1/19/07

Comment

It all depends on the trustee & issues...

they never looked at my bank statements but I did furnish trustee w/last year's IRS return...

Key is not to have a lot of action 3-6 months prior...maybe more now with the new bk laws?

I don't think they care whether its poker or cocaine...at this point...you still have the right to file...but, yes, if there is fraud, i.e. big cash advances and then filing...within 3 mo...they could look at it as planned...you just can't load up & cash out these days...so...keep that in mind & seek counsel with a couple of legal entertainers (notice I did not say lawyers???
                Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
                Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

Our attny had a whole list of items they have the have on file incase they get audited. 2 months of bank statements was one of the things. I was fully prepared to give them 6 months worth, but they only asked for 2 at the time we handed over our docs.
                  Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                  Discharged - 12/2006
                  Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
                  Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X