top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Expenses questions. Living with parents. Need a new job ASAP but have not filed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses questions. Living with parents. Need a new job ASAP but have not filed.

Little did I know 1 year ago moving in with my parents before filing would cause me issues when it comes to this part forcing me to live like a rat and having to file pro se. I should have filed before my house foreclosed. I have been working part-time as an independent contractor, averaging roughly $600 mo for the past 6 months and this is before paying taxes. I can't stand not being able to make even decent money and helping out my family and am at a point where I have got to go out there and get any sort of work because it's driving me crazy feeling this unproductive and my family also badly needs it. But I have yet to file.

Considering I live with them, however, the only expenses I can prove is car insurance and a phone bill, totaling around $180. I pay for my own consumption, so when considering gas, food, internet(not in my name but I pay it) and pitching in here and there, I am well below 0 at the end of the month. Rent, utilities and everything else is in their name and as I understand it, if I can't prove it, I should not list them.

So as it stands right now, because of the little income I made, I SHOULD qualify for Chapter 7. However I have to get a job ASAP and I cannot wait for the entire bankruptcy process to go through before getting a new job, so my question is, what happens if I file next week, but a week from that day I get a new job which basically triples my income?

There are two questions on the form that ask If I expect to make more money in the next year and if I expect my expenses to increase. I DO expect to make more money in the next year, but at that point I ALSO have to move back out on my own and my expenses will also more than triple. Do I state yes on both of those questions and explaining I plan on getting full time employment which will increase my income by more than 25% as well as my expenses?

What will happen at the 341 meeting if they inquire about the new income situation and at that point I'm sure I'd still be living at home but making ~$2,500/mo? Will it look like I have been avoiding full time employment in order to file? In essence I am, but I also know once I move back out on my own I will be just as broke as the day I was when I lost my home. Living with parents is temporary, not permanent. Please advise.

PS: I should also mention that I have not been paying taxes from my part-time job and still owe the IRS around $1800. I couldn't afford to pay them so I'm not sure if on the income form I should take out estimated taxes even though I have yet to pay them for this year.

Do you have health insurance? Sounds like you might be collection-proof. Why do you need to file now?

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

No I do not, which I badly need, and yes I am collection proof at the moment. But once again, I have to get a better paying job. I can't live like this anymore. What's going to happen when I start making $2000-$2500 a month? I still have 2 years to go before the SOL runs out on some of my debts(total ~25k), including a hospital bill and there is NO WAY I can live like this until then, not even for another 2 months. I will no longer be collection proof once I get a better paying job, and it seems NC is also going to pass a bill later this year or early next year that gives the ok to wage garnishments. I will probably get sued once they find out I have a regular paycheck coming in and if I can't move out by then, then I won't be able to file either while still living at home and making that kind of money.

How am I supposed to get an apartment with a 480 beacon? I have at least found one complex that would consider me with a discharge paper and a large deposit but I have no idea if any would consider a 480 beacon with a foreclosure on their credit.

Comment

Originally posted by AlSmith2011 View Post
        No I do not, which I badly need, and yes I am collection proof at the moment. But once again, I have to get a better paying job. I can't live like this anymore. What's going to happen when I start making $2000-$2500 a month? I still have 2 years to go before the SOL runs out on some of my debts(total ~25k), including a hospital bill and there is NO WAY I can live like this until then, not even for another 2 months. I will no longer be collection proof once I get a better paying job, and it seems NC is also going to pass a bill later this year or early next year that gives the ok to wage garnishments. I will probably get sued once they find out I have a regular paycheck coming in and if I can't move out by then, then I won't be able to file either while still living at home and making that kind of money.

How am I supposed to get an apartment with a 480 beacon? I have at least found one complex that would consider me with a discharge paper and a large deposit but I have no idea if any would consider a 480 beacon with a foreclosure on their credit.
        First, don't panic. You need to get regular income to support yourself before you do anything else (my opinion only) With what you expect to make when you find a job it still appears that your income will be low enough to qualify for a Chapter 7. (Don't forget that you can deduct your living expenses, utilities, food, gas, taxes, health insurance, etc when you start making money again.)

You can get an apartment as long as you are showing regular income. So many people have had credit issues because of lack of employment, that apartment communities are being less judgmental and lean more towards income now.

Please take your time to think things through. Get your financial footing back, then deal with your creditors via bankruptcy. Good luck to you.
        Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
        I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

I never heard of a 480 beacon... wonder if I have one lol....
          Folks here seem to agree that the way to go is with a private rental. I see rooms for rent all the time here, house shares, etc.
          Personally, I'd just cross that bridge when I came to it. Get the job, get the health insurance (that alone might be a big enough deduction-- have you looked at rates?? omg) and couldn't you pay some rent to your folks? and then there are the tax payments. And food, car insurance, etc.... 24K doesn't leave a whole lot of dmi and may not even be enough to garnish, often there are minimum income specs for that. Curious to hear what the pros say about the rent part.... I am def not a pro, still trying to save up to pay an atty... and to pay my own ins (went back to school to get some btw)
          What will you do if a medical emergency puts you right back where you are?

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Thanks guys, and yes I am panicking again a little just because of the tight squeeze that I have put myself in. I have no idea what I would do if I get sick again. My goal was to go ahead and file and put this and the 25k behind me so I could once again start living a normal life, get a new job, rent, re-build credit, and be a normal citizen again. Which is why I have limited myself to such life in the first place. I feel if I don't file now, all of this was for nothing. I have considered just waiting it out get back on my feet and then at some point in the future, much, much later, when I have the money, settle with my creditors. I would hate to be hounded for life. But I don't know if I go that route whether or not I will be sued before SOL runs out and if the interest will just keep piling on.

PS: I was an F&I manager in the car business. 480 beacons were quite common. Even lower.

Comment

If you actually like living with your family and its feasible to stay (ie: there is enough room) why not pay the rent to them? Get a receipt then you can prove it. Might help them out as well. If you live in NC and are below the poverty standards you should be able to get state medicaid until the time that you can afford your own. Why not, you need it and you probably qualify at least for the time being. These 2 things (paying rent to family and state assisted healthcare) are two things that could reduce your stress level for a while. Its just a temporary fix but it could really help you right now? Good luck with the job hunt.

Comment

Pardon me---what is a 480 beacon?

Comment

It's just another way to refer to credit scores.

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
                    I never heard of a 480 beacon... wonder if I have one lol....
                    Members of a mortgage broker forum has seen one as low as 330 (308, if counting the deceased. )

Comment

Originally posted by Drazil65 View Post
                      If you live in NC and are below the poverty standards you should be able to get state medicaid until the time that you can afford your own.
                      Unmarried folks generally are not eligible for Medicaid - at least not until Obamacare is up and fully running in 2014.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X