top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worried about law suit - should I file? Help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worried about law suit - should I file? Help please!

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and found this great forum and hope to get some advice.

I'm married and live in CA, a community property state. I have about $8,000 in CC debt but have always been able to make my payments and am working hard on paying this debt down. My husband has about $5,000 in CC debt. About a year ago I got hit with a large bill for something, about $20,000, it got turned over to collections in January and for the last few months a lawyer has been asking me to pay and is threatening to sue. I lost my job last year and am working several part-time jobs right now that pay about $2,500 a month. My husband is in school right now and is getting financial aid and a few other benefits. I'm constantly looking for a new job but no success yet. We're renting and all we own is a car worth about $13,000 and a motorcycle worth about $3,000.

What should I do? Should I file? If I file, I want to file seperately. Or should I wait until I get served? I'm so worried that I can't sleep anymore at night.

Thanks!
    Danie

Hi Danie, if the job prospects don't get brighter, I say file. Bankruptcy gives you your sanity back. $28,000 in debt is pretty steep when you only make $2,500 a month before taxes. The only problem is you may lose your car and motorcycle. I would say stop paying on the debt and start saving your money. Wait until you get served then file. The money you save you can use to buy a nice used car if you lose yours, which may not happen right away, so you can really save up some good money (if possible on that salary). I know you don't owe anything on the car, but it's an asset which they can take to pay off the creditors. Good luck!
    Filed August 20 341 on September 23 Report of No Distribution - September 24 Case Discharged and Closed on November 23!!!

Comment

Drowining is quite right! Check out the exemptions for CA http://www.bkforum.com/wiki/California

If the car/motorcycle is paid off they are at risk, although the motorcycle you should be able to exempt. The car...maybe you could get a loan on it...BUT consult a few good BK atty's before you do ANYTHING! and there are many people here who will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Comment

I'd not file until you get sued .Ideally, you'd want to have a job that carried health insurance benefits before filing.
        Version 2 of the Ca. bk code has a very nice wildcard exemption that should cover the auto and cycle.

703.140(b)(5) - $15,000 of any property, less any claim for homestead or burial plot

Comment

That nice car is vulnerable. Perhaps you should consider selling the car and then waiting 6 months or so. You can't have too many nice assets or they take them to pay off creditors.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X