Pre BK Counseling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre BK Counseling

I have seen it mentioned here is it mandatory to do the pre BK credit counseling. I am in NJ. We are in the process of gathering all the documentation to meet with an attorney and then retain him. He is charging us $350 for the 1st meeting and then using that credit towards the $2000 he is charging for the whole process. Does this seem reasonable? The lawyer was nice, he spent about 1/2 hour going over the whole process and then emailed me a list of items I need to get together.
    Another question, DH is the only one working, he is terrible about keeping his paychecks and some are missing from the last 6 months, can that be a problem? if it is should we just start collecting from today and then file in 6mths when we have the money to pay the lawyer and the paychecks, but then we might have a stash of money in the account from the bills and mortgage we are not paying?!?

Are you filing a Chapter 7?

If so, read here for info about NJ, Federal Exemptions and cash in the bank before filing! Maybe the info will help you.

Pre-Petition Credit Counseling must be done within the 180 days prior to filing your bankruptcy. Don't do it too early so that your certificate stays valid just in case life gets in the way of your planned filing date and then you won't have to pay to do it twice. It didn't take more than a half-hour or so to do it and we got our certificate e-mailed within a day or two. Make sure you ask your lawyer for a list of approved credit counseling agencies in your district.

Good luck!!
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Definitely shop around when it comes to the pre-petition course. The courses are basically all the same but I found prices ranging anywhere from $55 t0 $15 for the Internet version.
      Filed Chapter 7 non-consumer as a pro se. *Discharged* October 2011.

Comment

Make sure you choose a course that is approved by the bankruptcy court - ask your attorney. Most everyone chooses CCCS (Consumer Credit Counseling Services). They charge $50. You have to list all of your income and assets, and all of your expenses and indebtedness. Then, a counselor will suggest a payment plan to relieve you of your debts without filing for bankruptcy. In 99.999% of cases, this is not better than bankruptcy, which is why you will probably decline the offer. You will receive a certificate that you have completed the course requirement, which will be submitted to your attorney, and a copy for yourself. Nothing to it.

Comment

Hi there rps.....these guys are only $5.00
          consumerbankruptcycounseling.info
          i used them and had no problems. there are 2 states that they can not certify in....N Carolina & Alabama
          filed: 8/10 ...341:10/8/10 ... Discharged & Close: 12/9/10
          "Nothing is easy to the unwilling" Thomas Fuller

Comment

Hi rps, you might also check with your lawyer. My attorney signed me up and included the 2 online courses in his fee.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X