Questions About Schedule J

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions About Schedule J

I was looking over Schedule J, and I was wondering about some of my own expenditures.

I don't have a home phone, but I do have DSL through a phone company. Does that count as a utility? I know home phone is in that category. Or is it considered a luxury?

And, what about cell phone? Is that a luxury? I wouldn't think so—maybe fifteen years ago, it would have been, but nowadays, who doesn't have one? And anyway, I have a pretty basic plan.

And, what about cable TV (I don't have cable, I'm just curious)?
    Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
    Discharged! June 28, 2012
    Closed! August 8, 2012

I think all three of those expenses are ok on a Schedule J-especially the reasonable plans. If you pay 300/month for a super duper cell phone that does everything except scratch your back that may be a problem. Lots of good stuff on J here on the forum. Do a search and get some ideas. Also keep in mind that Schedule J should reflect your expenses post-BK-after your debts are discharged. In many cases they may reflect expenses that you don't currently have or are much less than they should be due to the money you are spending on debts. Medical expenses and car/house repairs are two areas that frequently suffer pre-bk. Food/clothing/entertainment/ etc could also be being skimped on. Good luck.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X