Curious about something...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curious about something...

I have seen people ask questions about judgements and liens that lenders use, does bankruptcy take care of these issues or once they are filed you are responsible, no matter what?

Bankruptcy can and will take care of most things, including judgments and liens.
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Except for your mortgage liens and in some states for liens from stipulated judgments with creditors.

Comment

Also, you want to see how things are handled in your state - I know that in MN I have to request that they vacate my judgement after the BK is over, its not automatic.
        Jessica
        Filed Chapter 7 (Minnesota): 5/23/11
        Discharged 8/30/11, Not yet closed...

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
          Bankruptcy can and will take care of most things, including judgments and liens.
          I'm surprised you made that statement. It's not wrong but surely you know that it's riddled with caveats. Most liens are only voidable to the extent they impair an exemption, for example. As a general principle a potential BK filer should avoid getting any judgment/lien in the first place. If it's too late for that, they need to look carefully at their state law.
          Filed Chapter 7 non-consumer as a pro se. *Discharged* October 2011.

Comment

Last year I received 2 summons from creditors, and basically this is what finally motivated me to file bk. I went to a "credit counselor" and she urged me to hurry up and file before anybody obtained a judgement. She said that judgements could usually be vacated, but it was much easier, if possible, to file bk first and stop these lawsuits in their tracks.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X