top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you include medical bills in your filing, will your Dr still see you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you include medical bills in your filing, will your Dr still see you?

My Dr is affiliated with the local hospital, and the billing all come from the hospital, the payments go to the hospital - never the Dr.

Will my Dr. even find out about my BK? If so, do you think I will be refused future care from the Dr and/or hospital?

To start with, you have no choice but to include all of your bills in your filing.

Will your Dr. find out? Where's that crystal ball..........

Will you be refused future care? The ER can not refuse you future care based upon your ability to pay or not to pay.

For elective procedures or doctor visits, there is the possibility that you could be asked to pay up front.

People file on medical bills all of the time and still get treatment. Medical is one of the big time reasons that many are forced to file bk, and the doctors and providers know that.

Good luck.
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Thanks for the speedy reply, Frogger

Comment

The Mds and clinic that I was using and included in my BK continued to treat me after filing without any hassle at all. Moving forward, I paid my co-pays and any monies not covered by my Ins plan when due . I was never turned away or had any problems. Of course it is uncomfortable when registering at the front desk for an appointment because I had the feeling that the receptionists computer was flashing all kinds of warnings (paranoia of course). I hope your future experience will be as trouble free as mine was.

Comment

Had to bump this b/c I have more questions...

So we're filing next week. My son had a doc appt last week and another one tomorrow. I haven't received the bills yet. I know I need to include these debts with the BK. Should I call the doctor and have the bills faxed to me before I file? How does that work?
          10/27/11 - Filed Ch13 ------ 2/27/12 - Conversion to Non-Consumer Ch7 ----6/11/12 - Discharged!

Comment

Originally posted by AZNoName View Post

So we're filing next week. My son had a doc appt last week and another one tomorrow. I haven't received the bills yet. I know I need to include these debts with the BK. Should I call the doctor and have the bills faxed to me before I file? How does that work?
            Are these covered by insurance? If yes, it's not your debt...and I assume you have to pay copays at time of visit...IF NOT covered by ins, then yes...(I think)

Comment

Our insurance is lame. The visit is 'discounted', but the rest is applied to deductible. I typically pay 50-60 out of pocket for a visit b/c it's applied to deductible. No copay. That's why I'm billed for every visit instead of just paying $20 at the front desk.
              10/27/11 - Filed Ch13 ------ 2/27/12 - Conversion to Non-Consumer Ch7 ----6/11/12 - Discharged!

Comment

Our insurance is lame. The visit is 'discounted', but the rest is applied to deductible. I typically pay 50-60 out of pocket for a visit b/c it's applied to deductible. No copay. That's why I'm billed for every visit instead of just paying $20 at the front desk.
                Then that's an interesting question - I suppose if you pay it before filing you don't need to list it...

(and yes, that is very lame ins!!!)

Comment

IF the doc does bill you directly, you might consider telling him he may get your matrix. He will then know. Explain to him that once you file, you cannot pay him (preferential) until your discharge. Once discharged, you may pay anyone you wish. Tell him you would pay him at that time. He will be OK with that. My doc was. 'Hub
                  If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Don't worry about getting copies of the bills. List the doctors name, address, and the amount as "unknown". As long as you list them, you will be fine.
                    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
                    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X