credit counseling before filing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

credit counseling before filing?

i understand you have to take a credit counseling class before filing,how does that work,and where do you go for class-thanks

You have to do Credit Counseling before filing BK.

After you file, and before you're dischaged, you have to do Debtor Education Classes.

You can find DOJ approved agencies here:

http://www.usdoj.gov/ust/

Right hand side. Bankruptcy Reform Box. Second line.
    Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
    Discharged - 12/2006
    Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
    Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

GPFAY, are you going to use an attorney? I did my couseling session prior to seeing an attorney. Many attorneys have arrangements with credit counslers and have those fees built in to there standard bk charges. If you talk to an attorney first, you might save a few bucks.
      Chapter 13 Filed 4/03/06 :blink: 341 Meeting Complete 5/11/06 :yes2:
      Plan Confirmation 6/16/06 :yahoo:
      Discharged: 1/5/2010 :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

thanks AA i didn't realize,and yes i will be using an atty.hope your process
        goes smoothly.

Comment

Do it online.......costs 40 bucks, takes about 20 minutes and then you print out your certificate. It is a joke, but you have to jump through the hoops...Well, actually, I take that back. After reading some of these posts, I think a few will learn something.........
          NOTE: I am not a lawyer...any advice I give is for entertainment purposes only. Legal questions should be directed to competent counsel. I am just a troll. Or a Toad.

Comment

Originally posted by no_it_all
            Do it online.......costs 40 bucks, takes about 20 minutes and then you print out your certificate. It is a joke, but you have to jump through the hoops...Well, actually, I take that back. After reading some of these posts, I think a few will learn something.........
            It is what you make of it.

You are making of mockery of this whole process.

You sound like a spoiled rotten brat who's been handed everything on a silver spoon.

Bet you're not even filing BK. Just here to study this Forum for some project for a class. Hope you get a piss poor grade. Heaven's knows you are incapable of reporting the truth.

Your brain is too slanted in one direction. Your reflection in the mirror, or any shiny object where you can see yourself.
            Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
            Discharged - 12/2006
            Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Originally posted by SinkingFast
              Your brain is too slanted in one direction. Your reflection in the mirror, or any shiny object where you can see yourself.
              Correct
              NOTE: I am not a lawyer...any advice I give is for entertainment purposes only. Legal questions should be directed to competent counsel. I am just a troll. Or a Toad.

Comment

Originally posted by no_it_all
                Sounds like you either gotten taken and have a fake certificate, or you have never went through the course.

Yes, you can do it on line, but I have not seen any web based site that didn't mandate a phone consulation as well. There is suppose to be a stipulation on the amount of time you spend taking the course, I believe they give you an hour to fill out the forms, then another hour required on the phone.

I would agree, the first session is just to tell you your screwed up and need to file bankruptcy. The second session I actually got something out of.

Comment

We did ours with CCCS of Atlanta. And there was no phone conversation that took place.

We did the counseling via internet chat box after I entered all the info. But there was a live human being Credit Counselor involved.

When I entered all the info, I clicked on a link to create a chat box link with a counselor. This lady came on. We chatted. She reviewed our info. Didn't have any suggestions for us. And told us we'd receive our packets via email within 24 hours. The Credit Counselor's signature is on our pre BK Certs.

It cost $50. CCCS charges a flat fee. That if you're filing single or joint.
                  Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                  Discharged - 12/2006
                  Closed - 04/2007

Comment

Originally posted by SinkingFast
                    We did ours with CCCS of Atlanta. And there was no phone conversation that took place.

We did the counseling via internet chat box after I entered all the info. But there was a live human being Credit Counselor involved.

When I entered all the info, I clicked on a link to create a chat box link with a counselor. This lady came on. We chatted. She reviewed our info. Didn't have any suggestions for us. And told us we'd receive our packets via email within 24 hours. The Credit Counselor's signature is on our pre BK Certs.

It cost $50. CCCS charges a flat fee. That if you're filing single or joint.
                    Thats kewl, the internet chat box. I understand there is a minimum amout of time you have to spend on the process. You automatically get credit for the time spent doing the forms, something like an hour (we all know it doesn't take an hour) and I thought your "interaction" time with a counselor had to be an hour as well.

I have read in some threads where people said they talked about the cubs, the weather, the president while waiting for the minimum time to lapse. Perhaps they have relaxed that rule now. I thought my consult should last 10 minutes, it really did last close to, if not an hour. I am not sure this company had it down to a tee, the counselor would ask questions, I'd answer, she would give advice. None that I really needed at that time, quit chewing, you spend too much money on it, take your lunch to work...ect.

Comment

I probably logged the whole 90 minutes and then some, maybe.

It took forever to enter all the acct numbers and dollar amounts of all the CC's. And the house info and such. It wasn't their website that was a problem, it was having to sift thru the papers, find the acct numbers, the dollar amounts. You know everyone has to have their own forms where everything is in different places!!

The chat box part went quick compared to filling in all the information in the forms.
                      Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                      Discharged - 12/2006
                      Closed - 04/2007

Comment

I used Money Management International and I paid $50. I filled my forms online, but I needed to speak with a counselor to review my financial info and to listen to some disclosures and the counselor had to explain the ramifications of Bk. It took me about 45-60 mins to fill in the info and the live phone conversation was 28.30 minutes. It was a waste of $$ my situation was obvious but its a requirement so what can you do?

sbb
                        Hooters MC: $1700
                        First Premier Platinum MC: $450
                        Orchard Bank MC: $300 Juniper Visa :$600
                        Target Card: $200 Capital One:$1500

Comment

I actually did learn somethings in the predischarge counseling. It was a 2 hour minimum on line course with some fun games, etc. Then I had to call them to verify passwords, etc and they emailed and mailed me my certificate. It was only $25 per person. The company is In-Charge Education. It would force you to stay in a certain chapter for a set amount of time before taking the quiz to pass that course and then you would move on to the next one. Pretty simple but imformative. I don't like that you have to pay for all this, but I think alot of us can learn a thing or two from doing it.
                          Filed: March 29, 2006
                          341: April 21, 2006
                          Discharged: June 28, 2006
                          Closed:July 18, 2006:yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping:

Comment

I received a paper from our attorney on 10 different CCCS places to do our counseling~ I notcied that the CCCS in Atlanta is the second one on the list~ I contacted them online to see what it costs, and they had a live help center, it was pretty cool~
                            We have decided to do this one, but haven't done it as of yet
                            Are they good about sending your cerficicate fast?
                            Online or to your residence?

Comment

actually we did do ours online. Our lawyer gave us the website, we entered all of our bills and income then printed out our certificate. We did not take to any live person. We presented our certificate to our lawyer and that was it.
                              9/28/06: Filed Chapter 7
                              10/25/06: 341 meeting Done!
                              12/25/06: Last day for objections.... Dear Santa, can we have a bk discharge for Christmas please?
                              1/12/07: Discharged & closed!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X