top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you file if you were judgement proof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HHM View Post
    What most people fail to realize the "lifestyle" being "judgement proof" actually entails. They CAN get judgments against you, the more apt term is collection proof. Here is the rub, (1) your credit never rebuilds, (2) collection efforts don't stop and (3) do you really want to be collection proof for the foreseeable future, all to avoid a BK which better for you long term then doing what you are doing now. (4) it is actually a lot of work to be collection proof, to "truly" be collection proof, you eventually move to using cash cards or cash (since bank accounts are never safe, in any state) and you cannot own anything of value, again, is that what you really want long term.
    Very true! It's definitely not a forever way to go.

I am an unemployed, stay-at-home mom, with little in the way of assets. I own all the debt, and we don't live in a common property state, so my husband's wages cannot be garnished. I, therefore, am collection proof, and, since I have a toddler who needs me, the "lifestyle" is, at the moment, working out.

But, I don't want to be a Stepford wife, forever. As soon as my kid starts school, I plan on going back to work, which means I'll have to file, eventually, and I'd rather put it behind me sooner, than later.
    Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
    Discharged! June 28, 2012
    Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I just thought I would ask as the attorney had said, one option was to do nothing.

We are going to file, just need to determine best time. I would l like to file at the end of the year, but our attorney wants us to wait until after we file our tax return. I think we will have to pay this year, but she wants to make sure.

Lynn

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X