Turn of Events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn of Events

I'm getting ready to file Chapter 7 as soon as I can afford an attorney. And, since all the debt is in my name, I see no reason to bring my husband into it, along with me.

Well, to make a long story short (and, without going into detail), I went to the doctor yesterday, and I may or may not be needing minor surgery soon (I'll, hopefully, know more at my next appointment).

I have two questions:

(1) I think I read somewhere on here that medical debt is considered joint. If I do, indeed, have to have the surgery, will this cause my husband to have to file, too?

(2) Does it constitute fraud to have the surgery, knowing I'll have to have it discharged in bankruptcy? I have no insurance, and I'm broke (hence, the bankruptcy).
    Last edited by lotsahats; 11-29-2011, 07:29 AM.
    Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
    Discharged! June 28, 2012
    Closed! August 8, 2012

I'll quickly answer number two. Yes.

If you do anything at all with intent not to pay, that is fraud. If you work out a payment plan with the doctor that would be different but purposely designing a bk to advance your wealth or assets is fraud. Depending on your state your husband may also own your debt. I would research it for you but have to run at this time. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
      I'll quickly answer number two. Yes.

If you do anything at all with intent not to pay, that is fraud. If you work out a payment plan with the doctor that would be different but purposely designing a bk to advance your wealth or assets is fraud.
      I see. Thanks for the quick feedback, Hub.

I don't know why a payment plan didn't occur to me. I guess I was busy thinking about other things. It's a minor procedure, so I wouldn't think it would be too crippling.

I hope I don't need it at all. It would be great if I could see the future. It was supposed to be a routine exam.

This sucks.
      Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

Well, I went to the doc today, and I'm fine. No surgery needed!
        Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by lotsahats View Post
          Well, I went to the doc today, and I'm fine. No surgery needed!
          Well, that is great. BK or not, you now have a 'new start' in life. Good for you. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X