Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future income questions

Hi,

To make a long story short, I am in graduate school to be a nurse practitioner. I graduate in May 2013. An oncologist asked me to come work for him as an "intern" in a way while I am in school. After orientation, my hours in the contract will be 8 to 24 per week at $37/hour. Originally, I thought it would be 24 per week, but since they hired two other mid-level providers, it will probably be 8 hours per week. Luckily, I stayed on at the hospital I had been working at in an "as needed" basis - so my hours are not guaranteed, and I just sign up to work somewhere. I am not benefited in either position.

How do I figure my income forward for my budget? What I am hoping is to at least get 24 hours per week. Nothing, except the 8 hours would be guaranteed. At some point (my last semester of graduate school Spring 2013) I would only physically be able to do 8 hours per week because of the high amount of clinical hours that would entail before I graduate. Once I graduate, I am hoping to work at least 32 - 40 hours per week (4 days per week, or 4 - 10's per week). They mentioned that the starting salary now is about $92,000.

So, everything is "iffy". I really don't know what to put now for my income forward. I have thought about trying to get my part-time position at the hospital back, but in a year I would have to leave anyway. I am very, very thankful that I did not actually quit.

So I am very confused how to figure our income. Also, we will be meeting with attorney that we have chosen before the end of the month, so I know she would be able to help as well. Just curious what the experts here have to say. Because my income will increase quite a bit in 2013, she had said initially she is going to really try and work a Ch 7 for us, but will find out for sure at our next meeting. Already, she had said (it must be particular to our area) that none of my husband's VA income counts, so we are already under for the means test.

Thanks!

Lynn

Lynn, you cannot predict the future and we also are not qualified to do that. You were guaranteed 8 hours so that would be what I would put down as things can change. Also on call nursing is an average of what you have gotten in the past. It is on call. Hope this helps. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Hi Hub,

You are always so helpful. Well, I had been part-time until November when I started new job thinking I would have my 24 hours at the new job. I am not really on call, but can sign up for shifts, which is what I will do, but there is no guarantee. So if you were us, you would just put in the 8 on my guaranteed hours for now, and not worry about the "as-needed" hours?

Comment

I'm sort of in the same boat. My husband is up for a promotion. The promotion isn't a guarantee, and it's hard to predict how much extra income it will bring, if he does get it. I have no idea what my Schedule J will look like when it comes time for me to file.
        Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
        Discharged! June 28, 2012
        Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by lotsahats View Post
          I'm sort of in the same boat. My husband is up for a promotion. The promotion isn't a guarantee, and it's hard to predict how much extra income it will bring, if he does get it. I have no idea what my Schedule J will look like when it comes time for me to file.
          When that time comes, you'll find out. It doesn't pay to worry about it now.

Generally speaking, one's life is not a predictable event in my experience.

Good luck to us all.
          No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X