Experiences with phone consultations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiences with phone consultations?

My husband can't really afford time off work, and I've never left my kid with anyone other than my family, whenever they're in town (they live two hundred miles away), so regular business hours are not an ideal time to visit with an attorney. If there is no other way, I'll invite my family up here, or ask my husband to take time off work, or maybe even take my kid with me to these attorney visits, but I've found some attorneys who work on weekends, and there are even some in my area who provide consultations over the phone.

So, for anyone who has done a phone consultation, how did that go? Were you able to get your questions answered? Could you tell, without meeting in person, that this was the guy for you? Would you recommend it?
    Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
    Discharged! June 28, 2012
    Closed! August 8, 2012

I, personally, would not recommend a phone consultation. I would rather meet someone face to face. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I guess a phone consultaton would be ok just to talk. I wouldn't sign with any without a face to face. I was able to find attorneys that would meet with us very late 5:30-6:00 pm.
      Discharged 5/2015

Comment

I think to get a good sense of how you will be treated and if you are truly comfortable with the attorney you really need to be face to face. We took our son with us on the first consult but he is 8 and sat in the waiting area with no issues (DSI and we left the office door open as we could see him from there). How old is your child, I think that would be key in making that decision. If the child is young could you possibly bring a sitter (like a friends teenager or something) with you to keep the child in the waiting area?

Comment

To me this was just too important, to trust somebody by just by a phone consultation. When I finally decided I had to file some type of bankruptcy, I met with two attorneys and one attorney's paralegal face to face. One lawyer I called said that we could do this by e-mail... of course that took him right out of the running. I ended up choosing one of the attorneys that I met with in person.

Comment

Thanks, everyone!

Yeah, after some thought, I've decided no phone consults. As you said, lilly, this is too important.
            Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
            Discharged! June 28, 2012
            Closed! August 8, 2012

Comment

Also keep in mind that you will have to appear in person at your 341, which is typically scheduled about six weeks or so after the date you file. Some trustees will conduct a telephonic 'dress rehearsal' a week before the scheduled 341. But that does not take the place of your appearance in person. You need to plan well in advance how to arrange care for your child while you are at your 341. Bringing children--even well behaved ones--is strongly discouraged in most districts.

Good luck!
              "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X