authorized user on a credit card and bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

authorized user on a credit card and bankruptcy

If you're an authorized user on a credit card and you file for bankruptcy, do you have to list that card on your filing? From my understanding, you don't because it's not your account. Also will the primary account holder know about your bankruptcy and will you still be able to use the card as an authorized user?

1. No you don't need to list it.

2. Generally, the primary account will not find out about the BK; HOWEVER, mistakes are made. All the large CC underwriters have services that tell them when one of their customers files BK regardless if the account is listed in the BK. So, it is possible that the lender could make the mistake of closing the account out right or listing it as included in bankruptcy on both yours and the primary holders credit report. This doesn't happen too often, but it has happened.

Comment

Generally, No, you would not need to list it. I would pull your credit report though and make sure that you're listed as authorized and not joint. Also, if its an Ameican Express Card they have a clause that you accept responsibility.

Comment

I pulled my credit reports before filing and I didn't list them because on the reports it said AU. I rarely use the card unless my relative, who is the primary account holder, tells me to buy something in my state because we have outlet stores here in Nevada. I just hope that if I do have to buy something and I use the card, I hope I don't get rejected or declined when I'm paying or when my relative is using the card and he gets declined because I filed for BK. What's the clause with American Express?

Comment

You should be fine as a authorized user, don't worry about it.
          Filed Chapter 7 10-2008
          341 Meeting 12-2008
          DISCHARGED 2-2009

Comment

My wife is an authorized user on her mothers CC and my wife use it every so often but we promptly pay it off every month. We are currently in Ch. 13, could this negatively effect our Ch. 13?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X