Car purchase before Chap 13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car purchase before Chap 13?

This is weird... I talked to an attorney (#3) who is very well respected in my area and he said I could purchase a vehicle before I file Chapter 13. I have a very old vehicle that will not make it much longer. I asked if this is gaming the system and he said no. Has anyone heard of this? I was pre-approved at a high interest rate but overall not bad.

It's pretty standard advice to get your transportation needs taken care of prior to filing bk.
    You'll have very diffcult time finding financing after you file a 13 and you need a new ride.
    Nothing improper about your lawyers advice.

Comment

In addition, its possible that the 'new to you' car could be paid at a lesser interest rate thru your ch. 13 plan.
      ~Staci
      Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

Originally posted by SMinGA2 View Post
        In addition, its possible that the 'new to you' car could be paid at a lesser interest rate thru your ch. 13 plan.
        He'll have had to own the car for over 910 days for this to happen.

Comment

The 910 day rule is to cram down the car value. It has nothing to do with the interest rate. Some districts pay the car lender a 'till rate' in the 4-9% range.

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
          He'll have had to own the car for over 910 days for this to happen.
          ~Staci
          Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X