Just received two 1099-C's from Citi Bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks so much SMinGa2,
    Another question about this: If the SOL for all my debt is Sept 2012 and I am not sued by then...can either the original creditor or a collection agency still 1099-C me after that date? Or in the years to come?
    Since its assets vs. debt at the time they forgave the debt, I have to make sure I'm insolvent like forever?

Comment

I'm not an attorney, but I am pretty sure the answer is yes. They should be able to file a 1099C at any time.

My understanding: SOL being up means they can't sue you, or if they try then you have an affirmative defense against the suit: the debt was time barred. SOL doesn't mean that you no longer owe the debt on a certain date. The 1099C means they have forgiven it, and you no longer owe it.

The insolvency balance check is before they forgive the debt - so the debt in question gets counted in your equation. The IRS instructions for form 982 are very clear on that part.
      ~Staci
      Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

Thanks thats what I was afraid of..so until things turn around for me I'm ok..but I'll probably still have to file BK and now deal with the insolvency...And hits just keep on comin'
        R2P

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X