top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Credit card slipped payment through after filing for bankruptcy... what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aaengel View Post
    None of the payments were over the $600 aggregate until 1FBUSA slipped their payment yesterday....

The tablet was bought used on eBay.
    I'm still not understandig why you didn't cancel the automatic payment. You went to the trouble of withdrawing funds out of your check so it couldn't go through but didn't cancel the scheduled payment?
    Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

And wouldn't buying a computer raise some questions. I believe that you can buy essentials - food or to pay rent - just before you file, but a computer???
      Filed BK 7 Pro Se: August 2010 341 Meeting: September 2010
      November 2010
      Closed: January 2011!!!

Comment

I accidentally used a credit card to buy grocerices and gas, about a month before filing. I had been paying on this card too, since it was one of my few that was still open. I'm a little hard of hearing, and probably missed that I was told to stop paying and using credit.

Of course when my attorney found out, he nearly had a fit. But, later nothing happened, probably because the amount was fairly small.

Comment

Originally posted by mountanddo View Post
          I'm still not understandig why you didn't cancel the automatic payment. You went to the trouble of withdrawing funds out of your check so it couldn't go through but didn't cancel the scheduled payment?
          First Financial Bank is a scum institution and it isn't easy to do anything with them. It's not as simple as logging onto their website and stopping the payment... they had already setup a payment plan with me, and automatically withdrew the payment through my permission, I don't even know if I called them if that would even stop it... thus the plan to withdraw my money to cause the payment to fail. Besides I've been avoiding talking to them because their bill collectors have been after me constantly since last months payment didn't go through.

I certainly hope you can stop questioning me finally about this.

Comment

Originally posted by aaengel View Post
            I certainly hope you can stop questioning me finally about this.
            I do too, aaengel.

IMO, some of the questions and comments were unwarranted or hopefully just overly enthusiastic.

Good luck with your filing!
            Last edited by ValleYum; 03-03-2012, 08:35 PM.
            ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
            Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

You actually moved on this all fairly quickly. I know it wasn't easy for you.
              Everyone here wants the best for you, just like a family. Sometimes we show our concern like a family would.... know what I mean?
              Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

The only reason why I asked those questions is because.... 1. was not aware that you could pay creditors as long as you kept the total under $600. From all I read if you pay someone any money close to filing it could be considered a preferencial payment and the trustee might try to get that back and distribute it equally to all your creditors. 2. I didn't realize your automatic payment was to the same bank you have your money in. That makes more sense now.

I don't think the things I asked were unwarranted. I am just sharing what my thought process and actions would of been. Even though it was a emergency filing I would of looked into getting my paycheck put into a different bank or using gift cards to pay for things or a green dot card just to get over the hump and avoid things like that happening. So I don't think there are any questions in this post just offering up what I would of done, which of course is not you.
                Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Originally posted by mountanddo View Post
                  I don't think the things I asked were unwarranted. I am just sharing what my thought process and actions would of been. Even though it was a emergency filing I would of looked into getting my paycheck put into a different bank or using gift cards to pay for things or a green dot card just to get over the hump and avoid things like that happening. So I don't think there are any questions in this post just offering up what I would of done, which of course is not you.
                  Hey MD:

The postings I am referring to started after a poster first misread - then incorrectly posted - about how much the OP's payment to this credit card was along with some family-style tough love.

Posters then began questioning that payment, his payment to Chase, and even his purchases - it was overwhelming and yes, I thought it was unwarranted and went beyond family-style tough love (*IF* subsequent comments/questions were based on the incorrect perception about the payment amount).

However, since I am not a mind reader, I can't be 100% sure that it wasn't something as simple over-enthusiasm while trying to simply help the OP and I tried to convey that I was hopeful that it was simply that.

I am absolutely not trying to start anything with you or anyone. I simply agreed with the OP that I, too, hoped the rash of questions were over and why.

Opinions on any forum are going to vary and I hope everyone can accept that my reply to the OP was not a personal attack on you or anyone else but just my observation.
                  ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~

Comment

I was simply just stating why I thought paying a credit card 3 days before you file might be seen as a preferential payment. If I am wrong about that then I apologize. As far as his purchases, it has always been said on this board that you should not buy any luxury items before you file. Whether a computer for school can be seen that way I'm not sure. I was just asking the questions. If he got offended I can't control that. It's quite possible that all things things are A OK for him to do. If more experienced posters responded then we'd all know that. I'm only going on the information he gave and the knowledge that I have. If it's wrong then I would assume another poster will correct me.

Comment

The computer is fine if he has the exemption to cover it. The worst thing would be he'd have to buy it back from the Trustee or the CC company would make him pay for the charge for the tablet if they fussed.

My son is in Nursing School (as is the OP) and he is required to own at the minimum an iPod touch to hold his PDR and other reference materials while he is in clinicals - so I guess I am pretty touchy that it really wasn't a luxury purchase.

We bought a laptop a few days prior to filing (hubby was FT in school & he was taking online classes while working full time (his job requires heavy travel) and his old one died. We had the exemption and not a word was said - hopefully the same will be the case with the OP.

It wasn't just you - puh-lease don't think that.

Someone misunderstood what the OP said and posted and *boom*; it seemed to be "all aboard" the question train.

The OP is just 26 (gah! I feel old typing that) and hope like crazy that he has learned a life lesson out of this. His CU filing suit against him pushed him to filing faster than I bet he would have liked, too and I know many of us on here can understand that.

I am just a momma bear sometimes and I guess him being close to my son's age, in the same degree program, etc. set off my momma alarms. But, I promise you, MD, if my son is ever on here and you and I still are - I will PM you! LOL

Hope we are okay and that you have a happy Sunday.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X