Two Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Questions

I should have asked my attorney these, but I just didn't think about it at the time.

(1) Will I receive a copy of the bankruptcy petition, and everything else that goes with it?

(2) Will the trustee want to see pay stubs and bank statements? I expect the answer to this is yes. The reason I ask is, at my first consultation, my attorney handed me the questionnaire to fill out, along with a checklist of things to bring to the next appointment. Included in this list were (among other things) most recent tax return, pay stubs, and bank statements--all of which I brought. My attorney made a copy of my tax return, but didn't even ask about the pay stubs or bank statements. He pretty much took me at my word when asking about income.

Then again, the W2's were included with the tax return. Maybe he just went with that?

ETA: I signed the final paperwork yesterday, and my attorney will be filing in the next few days.
    Filed Chapter 7: March 19, 2012
    Discharged! June 28, 2012
    Closed! August 8, 2012

Originally posted by lotsahats View Post
    I should have asked my attorney these, but I just didn't think about it at the time.

(1) Will I receive a copy of the bankruptcy petition, and everything else that goes with it?

(2) Will the trustee want to see pay stubs and bank statements? I expect the answer to this is yes. The reason I ask is, at my first consultation, my attorney handed me the questionnaire to fill out, along with a checklist of things to bring to the next appointment. Included in this list were (among other things) most recent tax return, pay stubs, and bank statements--all of which I brought. My attorney made a copy of my tax return, but didn't even ask about the pay stubs or bank statements. He pretty much took me at my word when asking about income.

Then again, the W2's were included with the tax return. Maybe he just went with that?

ETA: I signed the final paperwork yesterday, and my attorney will be filing in the next few days.
    A1: My attorney's paralegal emailed me a copy of my petition in a PDF format when I asked her to do so. You can also get this from PACER.

A2: I imagine your lawyer's office will realize they don't have this and call you about it if they need it.
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

When I signed all my paperwork, the lawyers para made me a copy of everything on the spot.

Comment

My lawyer had me make 2 copies of everything, one for him, and one for the trustee. Shortly (a couple weeks) after filing I received a questionnaire from the trustee which had to be filled out and a copy of various documents included with it. It may vary but district or trustee as to whether this comes from the lawyer to the trustee or directly from you to the trustee. In either case your lawyer should have prepared you for this.

Comment

When I signed, I was given a copy of my petition on the spot. Then on the day, late Oct. 2010, when my petition was filed, my attorney noticed that the copies of my auto insurance and home insurance policies were for the previous year. So I had to call the companies and have them fax him a copy of my current policy.

Comment

We were given copies of our paperwork. We did not need to add anything else, as we had submitted everything our attorney asked of us. And as she dragged her feet preparing our case to file, we had to submit our six months of pay stubs about four different times. GRRR!

The only thing the trustee requested was a copy of our Marriage License--I suppose because we use different surnames and were married in South Carolina, not Florida, although the license is recorded.... ? (shrugs shoulders)
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X