State Tax Lien

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State Tax Lien

Being OCD, I hate something not quite straight. I check my Credit Karma every day. Yesterday, when I checked it there was a tax lien. In Georgia we are able to get a free credit report twice a year instead of just once so I ran all three reports.

Sure enough my Trans Union shows a State Tax Lien filed in Johnston, Rhode Island. Johnston is not the capital of the state. However, I did live in Johnston in 2005 to 2006. I moved back to Georgia in February 2006.

I filed bankruptcy in 2008 and was discharged in 2009. I was paid for three months of 2006, which would equate to $15k in Gross Income but I would have had plenty of withholding. Truth is, I'm not sure if I filed an RI state return that particular year. Of course this caused my score to drop 20 points.

I did my taxes but never filed and they were saying I owed 48 thousand so I turned them in I owe 2300.00 now. If you could file the tax they will clear it. You need to find your papers. What is the lien on? Is it a house you own?

Comment

You need to file the return. Most taxing jurisdictions assess tax for non-filed periods based on your income and very little else - the IRS will apply your W2 withholding and payments - many states will not.
      over $100K cc debt,$20K taxes,$332K mortgages/value $190K,surrendered
      Confirmed, $801/month 56 down,4 to go

Comment

This would have to be from the first two - three months of 2006. Karm, that is what is odd. I lived in Johnston, RI the town in which the lien is filed but I did not ever own property in Rhode Island. Since I never throw anything out, I'm sure I can find the W-2's from that year. Of course, what does the fact that I filed bankruptcy in 2008, discharged in 2009 do? Anything?? Note, I have no intentions of ever living in Rhode Island again. Too much snow.

Comment

I just checked and a non-resident or part-year resident of Rhode Island is required to file a return for all source income received from Rhode Island. Is it actually a lien or is it a public judgment? I would work through the return and see if you even owe anything - it may be as simple as that.
          over $100K cc debt,$20K taxes,$332K mortgages/value $190K,surrendered
          Confirmed, $801/month 56 down,4 to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X