The emotional toll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The emotional toll

Does anyone know of any support groups for those affected by the economy? We have filed because DH was in residential construction which ceased to exist approx. 3 months after we had made a mountain land investment. We lost that land and now we have lost our home. We are separated because he has no work in this state. Most days I feel like I am mentally ill. What makes it worse is that everyone IRL that I know is relatively unaffected. They still have their jobs, cars, homes.

Hi, I am not sure about support groups where you live but this forum is a great source of support and knowledge. We have all literally been there done that for the most part. Many of us on here are here because of the economy and job loss. Many of us have lost everything and are starting over at middle age, many of us are starting new careers after going back to school, most of us are living on a cash basis with no credit cards (not because we could not handle credit cards but because if there is job loss again we will not be caught with our pants down and will able to pay for our basic needs with unemployment)...

We also know people that seemed unphased by the last few years and look at those of us that have had to change careers or move out of our homes like we are seriously making this stuff up. I have learned that I cannot control what and how others think about what I do so I do what is best for us. We know we are good people and work hard, we made a decision, a business decision and it was the best one for us. We cannot control the ecenomy or the job market but we can be more prepared from this point on for whatever comes our way. And those uneffected this time around well maybe their turn next time and then they too will not know what hit them! Only when you walk in these shoes do you understand the magnitude of the decisions that have to be made.

Comment

Great post Darzill65. I can't add much to what you have said. To the OP you are not alone there are many of us out there might be some of your friends and you don't even know it. It seems when hard working people file bankruptcy it's a terrible thing and people are aghast but when a company drives there business to a ground and many people lose there jobs it seems like America doesn't blink a eye or hold the CEO's accountable.

Pam

Comment

Inthestorm - this board is such a supportive and informative bunch of people. Please come here when you need support. Drazil & Pam said things better than I ever could. Hold your head high. I never thought my husband and I would be in this position. We had never been late, etc, etc, like many here. I cringe when people refer to us that have filed as "deadbeats". If they could walk a mile in our shoes.

We are more fortunate than most, but are very leary of ever having credit cards or maybe any credit again once we get through this and get the debt we will have remaining paid off.

(((hugs))) we are here for you.

Comment

Basketbear,
          I also cringe about ever having credit cards again. I'm still at the point they I don't want to spend money on anything just paying the bills. It took everything I had today to buy blinds for our windows that we needed. The were on clearance reg 25.00 marked down to 5.00. I just hated to part with the 15.00 it cost me. Stupid right Pam

Comment

No, not stupid at all Pam.

I know what you mean. I had weight loss surgery last summer, and have lost 94#. I cannot go around naked and I have had to replace all my clothes! Luckily, I wear scrubs and "comfy clothes" most of the time. I have bought most of my clothes either at discount stores or in consignment shops. Actually, I have fallen in love with consignment shops because of the value that we can get there. So, I feel I have been very frugal buying & selling (or turning clothes in and using store credit) to purchase my new wardrobe. If it weren't for my turning in clothes, and turning around and buying "new" I know I would be really feeling quilty on getting new clothes, even though there is no way I could wear my old clothes.

Take care!

Comment

Great news on your weight lost.

I need that surgery also just can't afford all the out of pocket expense our insurance sucks. I'm a emotional eater and well lets so it's not good.

Comment

Originally posted by pamkev View Post
                Great news on your weight lost.

I need that surgery also just can't afford all the out of pocket expense our insurance sucks. I'm a emotional eater and well lets so it's not good.
                Thank you! I am an emotional eater too at times. I have found that I cannot eat Lay's potato chips because that is the one food I have no control over. Everything else I feel in control. Cannot buy them (even though sometimes I tease myself that I can have "just one" - I cannot!). Pretty much live on lean protein, fruits & vegetables. Feel great! Thanks!

Comment

Inthestorm, yes, you are most welcome to come here when you need some emotional support. {{{HUGGSS}}}
                  "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Storm,
                    That's what WE are here for (((hugs)))
                    Re your friends and neighbors... don't judge by appearances. For all you know they are one job loss away from BK.

And... here in NJ a bunch of groups exist for job seekers. Check out your local libraries and religiously-affiliated organizations such as Catholic Charities and Jewish Family Services. A quick google search brings up a few groups in Savannah and Atlanta.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Oh, Storm, you are so not alone. Please know you have found a great place to vent, learn and even laugh ocassionally.

{{{Hugs!!}}}
                      ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                      Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

I was wondering about a support group too. I've never posted on any forum and I just joined this past Saturday. I am single, dealing with all of this alone, and have just started the process. I was fine until Amex started calling. 24/7 stomach in knots and this overwhelming dread. It's getting better but I need to be stronger to survive until I'm able to finally file.

Comment

Originally posted by bhornatl View Post
                          I was wondering about a support group too. I've never posted on any forum and I just joined this past Saturday. I am single, dealing with all of this alone, and have just started the process. I was fine until Amex started calling. 24/7 stomach in knots and this overwhelming dread. It's getting better but I need to be stronger to survive until I'm able to finally file.
                          Hi bhorn, welcome to the Place That Will Save Your Sanity
                          Go get Google Voice NOW. Your stomach will thank you. After a while you won't even notice those PITA calls. The whole goal of those is to make you feel the way you do. Don't let the ba$tards win!!!

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Thank you. I got Google Voice & changed my cell number. They were calling me at work.

Comment

inthestorm and bhornati, this is the best forum ever, full of great advice for anyone who's had to change their lifestyle because of this harsh economy. However, if you want something a little different you might look up Debtor's Anonymous. In some locations, they do have "face to face" meetings.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X